what state tax department is the worst?

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
zl28  
i deal with ny, nj and ct.....and ny is in 3rd place by a mile

AlexCPA  
The CA Franchise Tax Board has entered the chat.
Even more of my antics may be found on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXDitB ... sMwfO19h7A

zl28  
Think CA is bad? I've called a few times and thought the workers were intelligent, but that's just my very short amount of calls. in NY, unfortunately, seems workers are poorly trained on current issues

sjrcpa  
DC gets my vote.

Depends how you define worst. Is it the frontline employees or the leadership? In NC, the Secretary of Revenue took quite a while to get a clue. He learned on the job and had an arrogant attitude that the administration of which he is a part was correct in every sense. The front-line employees could do little to correct for that. Now that the career leadership (I’m guessing) have put him right, front-line staff are more able to do a good job.

novacpa  
In this part of the world - DC Office of Tax & Revenue is the worst.
They rob beleaguered Taxpayers mercilessly when applying
their misguided application of "domicile". I work with a Tax Attorney
on many of these cases, and DC OTR will not release a Taxpayer from
continued liability even after they have left DC 3/4 years ago.
Best way we have is to file Petitions with the Office of Administrative Hearings,
then they back off.

zl28  
that's really something..if you had a link i'd like to read up on that...criminal

wonder can you do a class action suit against a tax dept?

novacpa  
https://www.justice.gov/usao-dc/pr/four ... nd-revenue

Cases like this are all too common in DC, corrupt actors, employed by DC OTR.

novacpa  
"In determining whether an individual is a resident, an individual's absence from the District for temporary or transitory purposes shall not be regarded as changing his domicile or place of abode".

DC OTR can and will assess income tax on those who have long left the District (in one case we have 3/4 years after
they have moved away). They do this because the Taxpayers unwittily kept a Drivers License or cast a ballot.
"Temporary" can be in their view years and years. "Transitory" can be anything the auditor wants it to be.

zl28  
it's crazy

sjrcpa  
VA can do the same thing but don't know if they do.
I attended a State Nexus seminar the other day. They said only VA residents can have a VA Driver's License. So if you keep the VA license, and move ...

As far as aggressive collection, I usually rank (in no particular order) CA, NY and NYC as the top 3 worst.

I don't call many state tax departments these days as I used to, but when I did I had the most trouble with CA and NY/NYC. IIRC NJ was also a pain.

TN and GA are pretty practitioner friendly.

CA. So many rules!

Beagle  
Last year I had about 8 clients get large checks (around $10k each) from the State of Missouri with no explanation. Then about a month later the state asked for the money back without explanation. Thankfully none of the clients spent the money but wow that could have been a serious problem for some people who live paycheck to paycheck.

In June I had a client receive a bill for $2,400 plus interest. Before I could get in contact with someone from the State they received a check for $2,400. No explanation and nobody could tell me why. The bill and the check were issued on the same date but the bill was under the impression the check was issued 2 months ago (thus the interest).

In May I was finally able to talk to a woman on the phone and we had to shout back and forth over her really loud TV in the background playing the Jerry Springer Show. "work from home" doesn't work for some people.

Otherwise, the state isn't all that bad.

CA, NY, DC have all entered the chat room.

I won't hardly touch a client that operates in CA. I don't think I could charge enough!

MilesR  
It's almost impossible to talk to a human with CA. And when I do, it's usually someone very green and they have no clue what they're doing. I'm pretty sure they are all working from home still too.

The most recent time I dealt with them, CA erroneously adjusted the exemption credits of all the disability trusts I do. A small issue, but an issue nonetheless. They adjusted the credit from the allowed $129 down to the typical $1 so all the trusts got letters essentially saying they owed an extra $128 of tax. I called a few days in a row and eventually was successful and got placed on hold (instead of them hanging up due to "an extremely high volume of calls"). When I got to speak with a person an hour or so later, she was clueless. I explained the issue and she thought I was referring to exempt entities and tried to transfer me to a different department. I said it was just a trust, not exempt entities, and it was just the issue with needing the bigger exemption credit - "the exemption credit, not tax exemption." She actually had me explain to her the exemption and how it worked, as well as why these trusts got bigger ones and what made them qualify. She then put me on hold to contact her supervisor to run it by her and see if that was something she could change and how to adjust their system. After her "learning curve" she was able to help me fix them all though.

novacpa  
DC's Business Personal Property Tax Return FP-31 instructions are now 21-pages, must open an account
and send in the data via a conforming Excel Sheet, or it will be "rejected" and late filing and late
payment penalties apply, due by 7/31.

Return to Business Operations and Development