suggestion

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
zl28  
Anyone have a good software suggestion to keep notes on clients?

Clients keep calling and emailing with updated info.

I keep going into the tax program and jotting down note there.

Would like something more efficient.

CathysTaxes  
Some accounting packages have a notes section but I do prefer using the tax program because this information carries over to the new tax year.
Cathy
CathysTaxes

zl28  
i'll have to see if the new version of e-filecabinet has something.

sometimes there's so many notes....too much for tax program.

If you use Outlook, you can drag EM files to File Explorer or most other document management platforms.
Most of the integrated practice management platforms now have email integration, which is really good for this kind of thing. I don't use one, but I tested several last summer. This was one function I gave up to get some other functions in the one I chose.
~Captcook

TaxDude  
I use Microsoft Word. I have a template set up where the top portion has a field for client name and multiple choice fields for client preferences, such as copy type (pdf/paper), contact method, etc.

The remaining section is used for client notes. Every time there is an update we write our initial, date, and then type out our comment or phone conversation with client. In the case of an email we will copy and past the text if it's important enough to keep verbatim. If we have questions, we write them in here also.

We create a new document each year for every client at the beginning of the engagement. And if there is a comment that needs to be rolled over into the new year, we place a few asterisks near the date and hi-lite them green to alert us next year. And to complete our process, when client comes in next year we always review the prior year document; especially the hi-lighted sections.

This document/procedure has worked out great for us. And everyone on staff has access to this document to review and update. It really cuts down on questions between staff on status of a client.

zl28  
That sounds very good TaxDude.

I'd love some kind of software where you enter a name

then enter notes

and then opt to add something to a to do list for a whole practice.

ATSMAN  
My tax software offers a nice Preparer Notes section that copies all the information on that screen from year to year so it is very convenient to post quick notes by date.
Also I keep any detailed notes/documents in the client folder and reference that in the notes. My phone system can transcribe a voice mail so I can cut and paste the actual transcript or portions into that. 8-)

Not the perfect solution as a professional client management system but it works in my shop.

smtcpa  
I know it's old school, but I use a Word document for each client. The problem with using other apps is that if you ever change the app you use for notes, it is a royal PIA to get your historical data and notes out. With Word, you don't have to worry about being held hostage to another piece of software you no longer want to use.

But, with Word, isn't too easy to type something that doesn't belong there? I do that more than I like in Excel (and occasionally Word). If it auto-saves before you notice, you are buggered.

smtcpa  
I don't use autosave. I think you'd have the same problem, even worse with no "redo" function in an app program (that I have seen).

SumwunLost wrote:But, with Word, isn't too easy to type something that doesn't belong there? I do that more than I like in Excel (and occasionally Word). If it auto-saves before you notice, you are buggered.

zl28  
anyone have a client management program?

CAnopy?

zl28 wrote:anyone have a client management program?

CAnopy?

I have started using TaxDome. I like the software.

There is a section for each client where you can type notes, and it will stay there year after year.

I wouldn't say it is amazingly great, but I plan to use it.

Previously I had been using this massive excel spreadsheet with rows for each client, and tax years for the columns...

Beagle  
I personally put it into the tax software as a preparer note but have you considered a CRM program? I tried Zoho but it just seemed more work than what I was used to doing. I can see the advantage though of being able to document EVERY communication between us and the client. If you use a VOIP service, check and they may link to a CRM you are interested in so that the calls run through the software also. You can make calls directly from the CRM and when the client calls into the office the client's account pops up onto the screen automatically for an update and automatic documentation.

zl28  
that's good info on zoho..ty....zoho has alot of nice email features...they even have their own version of quickbooks i believe...i am looking for a recommendation on a crm program...interesting info..ty for posting

Return to Business Operations and Development