How to tell if tax preparer electronically filed?

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
A.
A relative whose tax return I do not prepare asked me how they can tell if their tax preparer electronically filed their tax return (yes, they signed 8879, they are just extra cautious). Here are answers I came up with:

1. If you have refund, you can check Where’s My Refund? On the IRS page
2. If you agreed to pay tax owed or receive refund electronically, you can check your bank account.
3. You can pull your transcript
4. You can call IRS and ask if it was filed.

Does anyone else have suggestions?

B.
Does anyone else somehow give proof of electronically filing to their clients?

C.
For professional tax preparers, our software tells whether tax return successfully went through or not. Are preparers keeping the successfully filed blurb as proof?

Quickest and easiest method is to ask proof of filing from CPA.
Software has the efile report, or the Form 9325.

If preparer is non-responsive to the request, then they can take the steps you outline.

They can also sign up for an IRS.gov account to view payments, etc. Not sure if that would show whether the tax return was filed.

Recked- thanks!

I give proof to every client that their returns were accepted. My software prints out an acceptance letter with the acceptance numbers, which I give to the client. If I were the client, I would demand I get something from the preparer for proof. Guess I just don’t trust people.

sjrcpa  
I don't send proof of acceptance unless asked. I'm rarely asked.

Seaside CPA wrote:I give proof to every client that their returns were accepted. My software prints out an acceptance letter with the acceptance numbers, which I give to the client. If I were the client, I would demand I get something from the preparer for proof. Guess I just don’t trust people.

Ever since I began E-Filing many years ago, I automatically email the notification from my tax software that the taxpayer's E-Filing has been accepted. I actually feel the IRS should require tax preparers to do this. The taxpayer deserves to have a document stating this for their own piece of mind.

CathysTaxes  
keninmichigan wrote:
Seaside CPA wrote:I give proof to every client that their returns were accepted. My software prints out an acceptance letter with the acceptance numbers, which I give to the client. If I were the client, I would demand I get something from the preparer for proof. Guess I just don’t trust people.

Ever since I began E-Filing many years ago, I automatically email the notification from my tax software that the taxpayer's E-Filing has been accepted. I actually feel the IRS should require tax preparers to do this. The taxpayer deserves to have a document stating this for their own piece of mind.

I have my software do this. One older client wasn't happy that they received the email. She's afraid of id theft.
Cathy
CathysTaxes

I've never provided proof automatically and rarely have anyone ask. Part of me thinks if they aren't trusting, they don't need to be a client. The other part realizes mistakes happen, and while it's almost always the result of stupid rejections, sometimes it's bad timing, software trouble, or the chaos that can happen during a deadline.

I've seen the e-file tracking of the big 3 (CCH, Lacerte, and UltraTax) and they all leave something to be desired for anyone who does high volume.

MikeH  

I do the same.
Mike Hartfield
Bullhead City, Arizona
Cell: 818/433-5359

Joan TB  
I do the same as Seaside & Mike H. I have had new clients come to me because it turns out their efiled return was never actually efiled.

smtcpa  
UltraTax automatically emails the client when each return is accepted. It saves a ton of time and headache.

MikeH  
smtcpa wrote:UltraTax automatically emails the client when each return is accepted. It saves a ton of time and headache.

Drake will do this, but I've asked, and never received a reply:
"Does this info get sent to the IRS & the CA FTB?"

I do not want my clients' email addresses getting sent to the tax people. The FTB, especially, has a very aggressive and robust data mining program. It's like giving the kids the key to the cookie jar. :-)
Mike Hartfield
Bullhead City, Arizona
Cell: 818/433-5359

sjrcpa wrote:I don't send proof of acceptance unless asked. I'm rarely asked.

+1

Return to Business Operations and Development