Bookkeeping client wants copy of quickbooks file

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
MilesR  
One of our bookkeeping/payroll clients has a new shareholder that wants a copy of our quickbooks file we have for them. He says he wants to be able to search and create various reports.

We generally don't give copies because it's our "working papers" and our license is attached to it for payroll, etc. I don't really get a "bad" feeling about this client so I am inclined to give them something, however I do not want to give them an unrestricted copy where they could possibly just take it and run, with me having set everything up for them already. I'd prefer not to make it easy and appealing for them to decide to just "do it ourselves."

What would others do in this situation? Is there a way to give them a version that just has basically an "interactive general ledger" where they could search expenses and run all the reports their hearts desire without just possibly giving away the farm?

Thanks for any insight/input.

CathysTaxes  
Send them the G/L in Excel format.
Cathy
CathysTaxes

Joan TB  
Depending on how big the file is, you could try exporting the GL to excel, then send them that excel file.

If it is QBO, I'll grant them access. If it is QBD, no way--my working papers, they have never paid for the software, etc. They get a trial balance or G/L in Excel unless we have a contract that specifically states otherwise.

About ten years ago, a prior firm I worked for had received a nasty letter for a copy of a Sage 50 data file. The firm refused stating it was property of the firm and it would not be released since it was also CREATED by the firm. The client's lawyer quickly realized the firm's stance was legitimate and told the client to drop the matter. The client simply did not want to adhere to a contract that stated the fee they would have to pay for the data file, and they violated it.

I made one mistake a couple weeks ago of releasing an Excel file that is a working paper. I don't trust the client's intentions but too late now, and since the formulas have already changed, as will formatting, they are only receiving PDFs at this point.

MilesR  
I looked into exporting to excel and it seems quickbooks does not support importing individual transactions but only accounts, balances, etc. (Unless someone knows another way).

The client wants to be able to sift through transactions in quickbooks and make reports so an excel spreadsheet of all the transactions wouldn't satisfy them.

MilesR wrote:I looked into exporting to excel and it seems quickbooks does not support importing individual transactions but only accounts, balances, etc. (Unless someone knows another way).

The client wants to be able to sift through transactions in quickbooks and make reports so an excel spreadsheet of all the transactions wouldn't satisfy them.

I understand all the opinions above but I have gotten to the point of... what's the harm? If they are gong to leave you, so be it. Make their exit pleasant.

I resigned from many clients last year as I transitioned to CFP work almost exclusively, I provided the QB file to anyone who asked and in fact I offered it to them.

MilesR  
I guess that's true. If they're wanting to handle it themselves then they'll probably eventually do it anyway and at least they'd feel like we left on good terms and wouldn't have animosity against me. It's not like they're going to also try to do their own corp tax return (which I do) but if there was a fight over the QB file then I could lose the 1120-S billing too.

Do any QB gurus know of a way to send them a copy that's not linked up with my payroll subscription? Or if that is even an issue?
I was thinking I could try to make a new, renamed copy of their file and then deactivate payroll or something and send this copy.

MilesR wrote:Do any QB gurus know of a way to send them a copy that's not linked up with my payroll subscription? Or if that is even an issue?
I was thinking I could try to make a new, renamed copy of their file and then deactivate payroll or something and send this copy.

The payroll subscription is tied to your specific license, so unless they find a way to activate QBD with your exact same license, it won't matter--they'll need to obtain a payroll subscription.

CathysTaxes  
MilesR wrote:I looked into exporting to excel and it seems quickbooks does not support importing individual transactions but only accounts, balances, etc. (Unless someone knows another way).

I know you can import check register because I've done that many years ago
Cathy
CathysTaxes

smtcpa  
We do this routinely. I think it is called the General Ledger Transaction Report.

CathysTaxes  

Then the client isn't very good with Excel. I find QB report writer to be very basic. Of course I do have an older version of QB.
Cathy
CathysTaxes

On the one hand I deliberately make it very easy for clients to leave me. I don't overload my client copies with every extraneous worksheet.. but I make sure to provide every worksheet that has data that would be needed to duplicate the return (ie. fixed assets).

If you want to leave, be my guest. I don't want the hassle of leaving to be the reason you stay. You better value what I do and be happy to pay my fee.

When we do bookkeeping (we're trying to get out of that activity) our engagement dictates that the books actually belong to the client, they always get a backup copy of the books. But I could see doing it the other way.

But in general as long as it's not inappropriate to share (actual work papers, preparer notes, etc) we pretty much give clients whatever they want. They paid for the work. I'm not trying to keep anyone who doesn't want to stay.
Know your worth, then add tax!

Return to Business Operations and Development