Fee to Prepare an Annual Corporate Report Form

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
HGCO  
I am based in Illinois. I presume that most secretary of state offices require an annual fee to maintain a corporation or LLC. I prepared an annual report and change of address form for a client operating an S corporation (forms bca 140.5d and bca 5.10/5.20 respectively) and charged $65.00. Included with the services was a call to the Illinois Secretary of State Office (4 calls in all just to connect, and time on hold for a total of 20 minutes on the phone). I could have easily charged at least $125.00 or more for my services. The client was within a few weeks of having his S corporation involuntarily revoked for failure to file the annual report. I explained this to the client. Nevertheless, the client became enraged at my charge and actually shorted me $5.00, and told me to sue him if I want the balance. Seriously?! I am just wondering what others charge for this type of service. I feel that my fee was absolutely reasonable.

CathysTaxes  
Your fee was ridiculously low. Corporation or partnership forms should be charged at minimum rates. I would have charged at least $200. I would drop that jerk.
Cathy
CathysTaxes

I charge $100 to monitor and file CA Statements of Information which includes the $25 filing fee. It only takes a couple minutes to file but it's work keeping track of the due dates. I believe you way undercharged considering the change of address forms and phone calls. If the client thinks that's unreasonable, it's definitely not worth having them around.

I charge $330 for this service.
Most of the work is performed by my admin staff, but it's all reviewed before finalizing.
~Captcook

HGCO  
Thanks all for the response! Yes, the fee I have been charging for this service has been insanely low. I figured 5 - 10 mins of work; but it is the importance of the task and otherwise consequences. That's what I should focus on.

And yes, the bozo client is getting the boot!!!

Thanks again.

CathysTaxes  
Don't forget the phone time! Always have a minimum fee. If the client balks, then he can do it himself or go elsewhere.
Cathy
CathysTaxes

HGCO wrote: Nevertheless, the client became enraged at my charge and actually shorted me $5.00, and told me to sue him if I want the balance.

Not a very bright individual. I don't know what he expected to happen but any self-respecting firm would immediately terminate the relationship after that happens.

Now he has to find a new firm and transition. All over $5. :roll:

Return to Business Operations and Development