Free Trial: TheSiteFactory.com

2022 Drake Software Price Survey

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
These prices are so insane (low)!

Who here charges only $480 for a federal tax return with a schedule C and one state?!

Preparers with no designation (no CPA/EA) average price for a form 1065 is $427 and for a 1041 is $382.

Firms who prepare more than 1000 returns/year average 1040 price is $165 (and $264 for a 1040 with a schedule C) [no state]

https://www.drakesoftware.com/content/d ... ry=TSDRAKE

wow

Someone from this forum contacted me last night about these averages and we had a brief rant about it. I know this has been discussed in prior years...don't they only survey Drake users? I have a suspicion the average Drake user charges far less than a lot of us are willing to charge for tax compliance (I know plenty on here are also Drake users). Also, how many of these companies are predominately tax vs. other services?

Even if you pay for unlimited returns in tax software, think how many returns need to be prepared at $165 for a 1040 before breaking even. THAT is insane...not to mention overhead and the value of mental sanity.

Almost all of my clients are in the 95th income percentile for the USA. A respectable portion are in the 98th income percentile. It makes sense that I'm well above the average in these reports when we take that into consideration.

Strip mall preparers who don't have a professional designation and focus on volume aren't in the same business as us and they're not comparable. Because of this I consider these surveys pretty useless. They might be useful if they segment based on target client demographic or firm type.

I have the same line of thought--this is beneficial for retail preparers, not those with designations/licenses. A PTIN does not count. Still, I know plenty of CPAs that are completely willing to kill themselves with work while charging 30-50% of what they should be charging, while other CPAs are at asinine fees. I try to land in the middle.

AlexCPA  
CornerstoneCPA wrote:...other CPAs are at asinine fees.

Alex here from the "asinine fees" camp -- I'm dictating this response to be posted by my assistant and humble servant Francoise as I enjoy a caviar breakfast after having completed my morning routine.

In the shower, I use a water-activated gel cleanser, then a honey-almond body scrub, and on the face an exfoliating gel scrub. Then I apply an herb mint facial masque which I leave on for ten minutes while I prepare the rest of my routine. I always use an after-shave lotion with little or no alcohol because alcohol dries your face out and makes you look older. Then moisturizer, then an anti-aging eye balm, followed by a final moisturizing "protective" lotion.
Even more of my antics may be found on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXDitB ... sMwfO19h7A

There is an idea of an AlexCPA. Some kind of abstraction. But there is no real you. Only an entity, something illusory.

AlexCPA  
Haha, yes! I gotta go, I...have to return some videotapes. :D 8-)
Even more of my antics may be found on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXDitB ... sMwfO19h7A

Those must be Drake users only. That fee schedule made me cringe.

Return to Business Operations and Development