Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
Remote Tax Work Opportunities.
Post a reply

14-Nov-2022 4:29pm

I have received a few emails from Intuit pitching jobs doing remote work as a virtual tax preparer. The work is with Turbo Tax Live. I have a little extra time, so I responded and have a phone interview tomorrow. I'm sure many of you have received these same emails.

Has anyone done this work or any other remote work with Intuit? If so, I'd be interested to know what your experiences was like.

Also, does anyone know of any other remote tax preparation positions that are out there? I am a CPA with 17 years of tax prep experience.

Thanks for any insights.

14-Nov-2022 4:43pm

They will offer you an hourly rate that will be absolutely insulting given your amount of experience. You'll make a lot more by offering your services as a third-party preparer for other CPA firms.

14-Nov-2022 5:04pm

Plenty of CPA firms have remote workers.

14-Nov-2022 8:56pm

I did the pilot program for TaxAct a few years ago. They paid very, very well and we got the software for our own practice thrown in.

When they started offering the service to the public, we were offered jobs at $35-38 per hour. Robert Half managed it for them and, to put it as kindly as possible, made a right sow’s ear of it. But if you can get in and past Robert Half, it’s not a bad gig. The only issue is that, in my view, those who used the service really should have engaged a tax professional. Our target was 26 minutes with a maximum of 28, so we could be ready for the next client. Numerous clients had to re-book because we had quite a bit of stuff to untangle.

TaxAct provided a computer and a backdrop that you were required to use. You will need a good internet connection, especially if you are going to be on video.

I did 10-15 hours per week and did a maximum of two hours at a time. I don’t think I could have stayed on the phone for longer than that at one sitting. You have no idea what is coming next and I found that draining. There will be rules about what you can, and cannot, do. For instance, we were not allowed to ask any questions on foreign tax credit.

15-Nov-2022 7:27am

If you are looking for remote tax prep work, post on the many FB groups for tax pros and you will be inundated. You may be inundated here too. As for working for Intuit, the pay will be so low it will be insulting, as already mentioned.

15-Nov-2022 11:09am

Be wary of unsolicited emails (from a advisor/realtor/etc) saying they have a client for you who's remote. I don't respond since I'm not taking new clients and a few may be legit, but suspect it's a hook for 'pay to play', same as the more obvious ones.

15-Nov-2022 7:02pm

Depending on how cutting edge you have kept yourself, you might think about approaching a continuing education provider. They are often hungry for content and if you wanted to fill some empty spots in your schedule and make a few dollars you could do much worse.

15-Nov-2022 9:45pm

Even cleaning toilet bowls would be better than working for the Evil Empire.

16-Nov-2022 1:27pm

Get some cheap insurance and build (or pay for someone else to build) a simple website and do it on your own. Provide online services only.

You will make the same amount of money for 1/10th of the work and not have to deal with nearly as much employer-related BS.

If you build it, they will come.

17-Nov-2022 10:12am

Indeed.com and the rest of the job sites have tons of opportunities. You can just limit your search to REMOTE, CPA and part time. I've seen them for $80+ per hour. Guy I work with does one for a firm where he answers questions for clients and helps them fill our their return (without actually doing it). He put 1/3 his income into a 401k and when he figured out their match and his bonus it came to about $51-52 per hour (w2). The extra nice thing for him is he does it from about 6am-10am so it doesn't really change his business. It's a nice way to get some income as you ramp up your business or transition down.

19-Nov-2022 4:35pm

Beagle, when you say "the rest of the job sites," can you give me a short list of a few of those sites? I literally have't looked for job since 2003, so I have no idea where to look beyond Indeed.com. Thanks for your help.

19-Nov-2022 7:49pm

Off the top of my head, I can think of:

Zip recruiter
Monster
Maybe Glassdoor

20-Nov-2022 7:03pm

WaylonDenmark wrote:Beagle, when you say "the rest of the job sites," can you give me a short list of a few of those sites? I literally have't looked for job since 2003, so I have no idea where to look beyond Indeed.com. Thanks for your help.

Have you ever utilized Google.com?

23-Nov-2022 4:10pm

Thank you, ItDepends. I appreciate the help. Have a great holiday.
Post a reply