Taxact taxslayer etc sharing info with Google & FB

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.

Yes, I saw that. I used TaxAct up till a couple of years ago (2019 was the last year). I am bothered that Ramsey Solutions was affected by using TaxSlayer. Does this mean that those of us who used TaxAct's professional software are affected? The statement from TaxAct is corporate Buncombe. They had better come out with something better than that.

Doesn't Drake have some damage limitation to do? If I recall correctly, they are about to buy the parent of TaxAct.

Time to return to paper filing

Beagle  
SumwunLost wrote:Doesn't Drake have some damage limitation to do? If I recall correctly, they are about to buy the parent of TaxAct.

A VC firm who invested in Drake has purchased TaxAct Software. As of right now they are completely independent of each other and in fact the purchase hasn't even been completed yet.

Having said this, TaxAct, Taxslayer, Intuit, HR Block, Google and Facebook need to be investigated. This is beyond inappropriate. I wonder if the professional versions were included - I'm thinking not.

Beagle wrote: I wonder if the professional versions were included - I'm thinking not.

I remain to be convinced of that. I hope the professional editions weren’t part of this, but the manner in which the e-filing is completed in TaxAct leads me to wonder if it may have been.

I agree that those involved need to be hit so hard that they bitterly regret their actions. We have had a similar case locally lately. A local hospital shared medical information with Meta. They were in court on a Medicaid felony a few years ago, so it seems they never learned their lesson.

This seems to be a case of nobody knew what was going on rather than intentional data mining and sale.

I doubt professional tax software was affected. It seems the problem was a tracking pixel, which would have been in the web interface (web browser).

Browser content blocker plugins such as uBlock Origin may have blocked this. Hard to tell if the data mining was client side or not.

As someone who dabbles in internet privacy and security I find this particularly atrocious. Heads should roll at both the software companies and google/FB.

ManVsTax, the screens that you see for e-filing in the TaxAct professional software are the same as what you would see online as a consumer. I used the consumer edition for over a decade when I was employed and used the professional edition for four seasons. So when you go from one “look” in the professional edition to a completely different look as you go through the e-filing process, it is something that causes me great concern and something that TaxAct must explain in the next couple of days.

Ah, I see. I just assumed most professional tax software wouldn't be run through a browser. Haven't encountered that before. They've all been installed software/apps, even if cloud based.

TaxAct only says they take "client data security seriously" & will come out with statement soon.
Meanwhile, am I supposed to contact my clients and tell them of the data breech?

I renewed next year and have serious misgivings....what am I supposed to tell my clients that call in?

Ask for a refund so you can move to another software provider. that might focus their minds.

I have an interest in this, as I used TaxAct up to 2019.

Beagle  
Have they said the professional version shared the information?
All I've seen is them saying the consumer product shared the information via the website.

Intuit was included in all this (they didn't disclose as much information but they did share some) & nobody is freaking out about Intuit professional products.

Return to Business Operations and Development