Would You Fire?

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
Going through my list of potential clients to fire. Had a new client in 2021, I charged them a decent fee for my services, but nothing that can't be replaced (and then some). The clients called me because they moved from Texas to OH at the end of 2020, bought a house here, retired, and purchased a property to Air BnB.

The client was looking for someone to help them gather their information for their Air BnB as the preparer they originally hired was making this a bigger ordeal than it should have been, but I will admit I probably spent more time figure out cost basis, etc. than I should have, but that's my fault for not billing enough, lesson learned here!

Anyways, this client can be a little brash when dealing with (mainly the wife). She wasn't the happiest about owing for 2021 and I know that they're going to owe for 2022 (which I have forewarned them). On top of this, the client received a notice regarding not filing at 2020 OH return (they claim they established residency on 1/1/21 and OH doesn't like if you don't file a prior year return and claim full year current resident). This client called me and stated right off the bat "Hey , I received a letter from OH saying we didn't file something and its showing $200 in penalties and interest". The reason why this was off putting was that she automatically assumed it was my fault and wanted me to pay the penalties even though the notice was a 2020 notice and I didn't prepare their 2020 and I had to explain to her that it wasn't due to anything I did.

Although this is not a large nuisance, I'm just not thrilled to continue working with them. Knowing that they're going to owe again this year as well as if there are any issues in the future, this client would definitely be quick to jump to conclusions, etc. and I'm just not sure I want to deal with that in the future. Maybe I'm just quick to fire, but maybe its best to let them go somewhere else?

sjrcpa  
Fire. Life is too short. You're already worrying and say you don't need their fee. Move on.

Agreed
You're spending mental energy on them in a non billable way.
Never a good sign...let them go
~Captcook

If you cringe when you see thier name on the callerID, or the email notification... pull a frozen and let em go!

novacpa  
Plug the plug on them, nicely - to avoid a bad review on Yelp or Google.

Beagle  
ReckedCPAEA wrote:If you cringe when you see thier name on the callerID, or the email notification... pull a frozen and let em go!

This is the correct way to live your life. Life's too short to allow miserable people to take up your time.

+1

Some clients will rub you wrong and get your goat, even if you can't put a finger on a full-on smoking-disengage-gun.

Life is too short.

Enjoy a practice of clients that you like. Or can at least tolerate.

These clients?

No.

CaptCook wrote:Agreed
You're spending mental energy on them in a non billable way.
Never a good sign...let them go

Very well stated.

Hmm. Not sure about this one. I acquired an EA practice in 2019. It quickly became clear that one business client was going to be trouble. I have an office at Regus and he got into the habit of coming straight to my office and walking in, without so much as a "by your leave." It annoyed me and it annoyed the center manager, because he needs to know who is in the office for fire safety. Then he started demanding services that I could not provide and which he insisted the prior EA had done. I went through the Scottish education system in the 1970's. I can read and I had access to all his files. We had quite the argument one day, to the extent that the center manager stood by my door, ready to intervene. It was a full and frank exchange of views and he stormed off. He came back two days later. There was no apology, because it's not in his culture (that's OK by me). However, he reset the relationship and, although he will never be my very best client, he is a high A. Pays well, always comments on the size of the fee, but is writing a check as he does so. He says frequently that he appreciates my advice. He will always try it on with various matters. He loves to negotiate and bargain, but he knows when to stop. I am glad I have him as a client.

Compare that with a client who insisted she was "Important," with nothing to back it up. She argued about a modest fee and demanded that I explain the return in needlessly minute detail. She and her husband wanted to "thoroughly review" a draft return for errors. Then they had the cheek to call up several weeks later and ask if the return had been filed. Apparently it was my fault that I had not filed, even in the absence of their approval to the draft return.

The first client tested my patience (to say the least) several times over the course of, perhaps, a week but he quickly realized how things had to be going forward. The second client continued to assert her "Importance," over a long period. Which client is yours?

Return to Business Operations and Development