Security Exception for Software-Advice Please

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
irc162  
Account Deactivated
There is a tax utility program I have used for at least 20 years. This year, instead of being a standalone program, it is combined with other software in a "toolbox" program.. After installation of this year's version, when I went to open the program, it frozze and both Windows Security and Malwarebytes flagged the new program as a Trojan and a serious threat. I tried the installation on another computer using a diferent version of Windows with the same result. The company support website says if the program freezes, I should just add an exception to my security software. I am very uneasy about doing that. I phoned support and, in spite of the instructions on the support website to add a security exception, they denied that anyone else installing the program had received security warnings.

What do you think? Should I add a security exception? Is this a common problem? While I could probably do without the program, it is useful. However, I certainly don't want to create a security risk.

It would help if you mentioned the name of the tax utility program.

I’ll assume you’re referencing CFS Tax Tools since it went to a “toolbox” format. I have Windows 11 Pro and also use Malwarebytes. I have had no issues with the program freezing nor with security warnings. I know a lot of organizations that use the program and haven’t heard of any issues.

Keep in mind that even if no one else is having issues, that doesn't necessarily mean that what you downloaded and installed is safe. If you clicked a link in an email to download and install it's possible you were phished into installing spyware or malware.

I would start by uninstalling the app you installed. Then download and install from the official source (i.e. developer's website/portal).

If that clears the issue, I'd then do a full system scan with windows defender and malwarebytes to be sure there's nothing hanging around.

If it doesn't work, it's going to come down to how much you trust the developer. If you do end up adding an exception in your A/V and A/M, there are steps you can take to mitigate a potential threat, depending on how tech savvy you are.

irc162  
Account Deactivated
Yes, it is a CFS program.

The original bounce was on a computer running Win 10 Pro. All of the software is up to date. That computer is only used to run tax software. It is not used for email. It is only online to install and update tax programs, security software and Windows. Otherwise, the ethernet cable is unplugged.

I received Trojan notification from both Windows Security and Malwarebytes

Yes, the install was directly from the CFS website.

When I got the first bounce, I tried an install on a "retired" Win 7 computer with the same result. Both Windows Security and Malwarebytes flagged it. And yes, the security software and Malwarebytes on that computer are up to date. Likewise, that computer has limited internet access.

The program has been uninstalled from both computers.

I understand that Windows Security (whether Defender or Security Essentials) has been known to give off false positives. Apparently, this often has to do with expired or unsigned certificates.

Very likely, this is not a bit deal. But the fact that the software was flagged by two separate programs is a concern. Then too, What is the point of having security software if I am just going to work around the warnings it provides?

Frankly  
irc162 wrote:What is the point of having security software if I am just going to work around the warnings it provides?

The software provider has written a program that doesn't work with the biggest op sys in the world and two huge security programs. The provider needs to fix it and re-release.

TaxDude  
I also use CFS Tax Tools and switched to their "toolbox" format with no problems. FYI: you can still use their software individually without the toolbox. Maybe you could just install each of their individual programs like they used to have us do and avoid the toolbox altogether.

irc162  
Account Deactivated
TaxDude wrote:I also use CFS Tax Tools and switched to their "toolbox" format with no problems. FYI: you can still use their software individually without the toolbox. Maybe you could just install each of their individual programs like they used to have us do and avoid the toolbox altogether.

Thanks, Tax Dude. This is helpful. When I went to download the the W4 module a few days ago, I could have sworn that my only option was to download the toolbox. When I clicked the download button for the W-4 option, it gave me the download for toolbox.
But when I checked again today, the W-4 module no longer seems to be connected with Toolbox---there is no longer an indication along side the module saying it is part of toolbox. Even better, when I click the download button, I just get the download for the W-4 module.

Problem solved.

Update: I just checked my downloads. The W4 software download I originally installed on 12/28 seems to be different than the download file available today. I guess the original wasn't ready for prime time.

Return to Business Operations and Development