Switching pw manager from LastPass to BitWarden

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
the last hack of LastPass was the last straw. Especially how the co is dribbling out the full extent of the damage over weeks.

Any Bit Warden cloud users out there?

Conversion of LP to BW was very smooth for Iphones.

But not so smooth for Windows browsers.

Have to tinker with BW settings to keep it from logging out the BW extension on each browser.

After that calmed down, a lot of my three field site login fields didn't convert. I'm guessing I'll have to create a bunch of "custom" fields for those multi field login sites.? LP did that automatically.

Yes, I use BitWarden for personal and business.

You can modify in the settings how long a particular instance of BitWarden is open before it locks, and what you have to do once that happens (just enter PW vs redo the full login with 2FA).

The LastPass breach was particularly bad. Although what happened to LastPass could happen to any cloud-based PW management software, the lack of transparency surrounding what happened was an example of what not to do.

Allegedly, users' encrypted vaults were taken. If that's accurate, eventually someone is going to attempt to brute force your LastPass vault open, if they haven't already. You need to operate under the assumption that all of your PWs were compromised and update them all after the migration to BitWarden. As tedious as that is, it's a no-brainer given what happened.

And, enable time-factor 2FA with both Bitwarden and any site that allows it. Authy is a good one for most people. I used to use that but now use Aegis. I wouldn't recommend Aegis unless you're tech savvy and doing backups of your 2FA seeds yourself doesn't scare you.

lenraphael wrote:After that calmed down, a lot of my three field site login fields didn't convert. I'm guessing I'll have to create a bunch of "custom" fields for those multi field login sites.? LP did that automatically.

Can you give an example? If you right click on a login field or checkbox ("Remember my username" etc), go down to the BitWarden menu and you'll see an option to copy the custom field name. Then you can create a rule for what happens to that custom field when you autofill with BitWarden.

For example, I have rules to uncheck all of those "Keep me logged in", "Remember my username", etc boxes if they're checked by default.

that was helpful. I found a youtube that showed me how to add a "custom field" for the gosystem login which has three fields to input.

only missing piece i need is maybe "linked custom field".

With adding just the "custom field" now I can right click and select the value from "auto fill". But unlike the username and pw fields, the custom field has to be manually clicked to input. i tried simply changed custom field type to linked. Didn't help.

for the likes of me, most of the time I have to "unlock" BW when I want to log into any site. The extension is not greyed out. Infact there's an instance of BW open in another tab of same browser. So why does it make it input my master pw??

(user group mentioned an "options" setting in the extension. I didn't see such in Windows Chrome beta or Edge beta settings, extensens, BW

Did set a preference in the web app for timeout. Have that set to 72 hours.

not that any of this is technical, but it wb daunting for 99 pct of home users.

How are you running BW -- Desktop app? Through the BW website? As a browser plug-in?

What browser are you using?

I'm using BW cloud service and installed exts for Chrome, Edge, and and Firefox on my pc's. Forgot how i configured for Iphones but it was very easy and works fine.

if I wanted max security I wouldn't use BW's cloud but would store in OneDrive. I don't want to deal with the issues of OneDrive not synching etc. Can't imagine how one would do that on an Iphone.

Most of my frustration with BitWarden was it frequently requiring me input my masterl pw when using it on Windows machines. Worked fine on Iphone.

Turns out the trick is to left click on the BW extension in each browser, on each pc, select settings, and then change the timeout from the default of always require master pw. I didn't see that mentioned in the faq etc. I assumed the only ext settings were in the usual browser, settings, extensions, details. Or in the preferences for the BW vault itself, which is how LastPass sets this.

Still have to input master pw about 5% of the time, but that's better than 95% it was before i changed the setting within each browser extension icon.

There's a setting there for "use a PIN" but I don't see that it does anything.

After reading MVT's tip about "custom fields" went to youtube to learn how to "create custom field" for sites that require 3 or more inputs, etc. That's a bit clumsy, but acceptable.

If I understand correctly, there's something called "linked custom fields" which autofills the addition fields. No idea how to do that. Couldn't find a youtube either.

BW is not as good as LP at recognizing url's. Maybe that's a feature, not a weakness. And BW doesn't automatically offer to update its' login about 25% of time.

reply on the BW user group site:
The custom field type (“Linked”, “Text”, “Hidden”, or “Boolean”) does not determine whether it auto-fills or not.

When you create a custom field of any type, you have to set its Name to an identifier name that matches what is used for the input field in the HTML source code of the web form. If the Name of the custom field cannot be matched to a field identifier in the HTML soruce code, then the value stored in the custom field will not be auto-filled. You state that you already understand this, so I’ll skip the step-by-step instructions for naming a custom field unless you ask.

The next thing that is required for auto-fill to be possible is to have a URI stored in the vault item that matches the URI of the web form that you wish to autofill. If the badge counter on the Bitwarden extension icon is displayed with a value of 1 or greater, then the current web page is matched by one or more vault items. If you don’t see a badge counter when going to a webpage where you want auto-fill to work, let us know, so that we can help troubleshoot.

Finally, the auto-fill will not occur unless it is triggered. You can manually trigger the auto-fill (e.g., by clicking the corresponding account shown in the “Tab” view of the browser extension, or by using the right-click context menu, or by using the keyboard shortcut Ctrl+Shift+L), but I have a sense that you would prefer for auto-filling to occur automatically. To automatically auto-fill your custom field as soon as the web form has opened, go to Settings > Options and enable the option Auto-fill on page load.

If none of the above information solves your problem, you will need to provide additional context about what you are attempting to do.

I've never used LastPass, so I can't make a comparison.

To adjust the timeout of each instance, go into the settings. Each instance has its own setting. While this may seem tedious, this flexiblity is actually beneficial. For example, you may want the timeout on your work PC to be 4 hours, 8 hours, etc. And you may want the timeout on a mobile phone to be 30 minutes.

I recommend using Bitlocker through the browser plugin (if on PC) and the app (if on mobile). The web interface is a bit clumsy for everyday use.

Custom fields may take some time to setup if you migrate over, but you'll get used to it.

"Automatic autofill" is a feature but some users like me don't enable it. I have more than one login for some websites and prefer to select which one from the plug-in to autofill. e.g. I have multiple ShareFile logins for my firm and some third-party partners. Automatic autofill in that situation would just create more hassle and work.

Regarding domains, I find it helps to clean them up in BitWarden. e.g. If bitwarden saves " https://subdomain.domain.com/login_etoijdoaidfgjfheo/ " I clean it up to " https://domain.com/". That way it should still recognize the login page even if the url changes slightly.

Good luck. If you use reddit there's a BitWarden community there. It's helpful to read through it once a week keep your finger on the pulse of any new features or issues.

Bitlocker? was that an autospell for Bitwarden ?

Keyboard shortcut Ctrl Shift l (lower case L) is handy for autofilling
There's also ctrl shift y which I haven't tried

Only remaining big issue before I enable MFA for Bitwarden web, is whether BW has a function similar to LP, Roboform, etc which will autofile credit card info, contact info etc into web sites that request it eg for a purchase. Seems to have a category for credit cards.

lenraphael wrote:Bitlocker? was that an autospell for Bitwarden ?

Yes, slip up on my part. Too many bits.

BitWarden has credit card functionality. I don't use it but imagine it'll do what you described.

i see why MVT doesn't enable full "autofill on page load" because BW is almost too good that compared to LastPass.

Wb nice if it could be enabled on a site by site basis the way LP does.

authenticators: is AEGIS only for Android phones?

lenraphael wrote:authenticators: is AEGIS only for Android phones?

I believe that is correct. Android-based operating systems.

I wouldn't recommend Aegis as an authenicator app unless you consider yourself an advanced user. From your posts it seems like you might be, but I like to give full disclosure. Yes, it's privacy focused, secure and battled tested, but unless you're savvy enough to setup your vault to cloud sync or disciplined enough to do regular, manual backups, there are more user friendly options out there.

lenraphael wrote:BW custom fields https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_aKJQ6T9ts

The method he's using to get custom field names is tedious and outdated.

See this video for the best way to do it now (starts at 14:50 mark): https://youtu.be/PdB7KCjrFT4?t=890

Return to Business Operations and Development