Office hours

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
Hi,

We currently have our office hours listed on our website and voice mail message. We are only 2 FT employees, and sometimes we will leave the office early, or are late to open the office in the morning.

I am considering instead of having set office hours, just saying something like "office hours are by appointment only".

That way if someone shows up during normal hours and we aren't there, they won't be upset.

What do you think? How do you do your office hours? Do you have a full-week e.g. Mon-Fri 9-5?

Thanks for any advice!!!

I would think most firms of your size would do office hours by appointment only.

After a tax season without stating "By Appointment Only" I changed that. i have the advantage of working from a Regus office so clients can drop off in a sealed envelope during Regus' business hours.

My office is the same size. I don't even leave my door unlocked. I tell all clients we are "by appointment only".
~Captcook

Miami88  
I'm a solo and just moved offices. I was renting an extra office in a law office so if I wasn't there they could still leaving things. Now I have my own place and part of my door signage says "Hours by Appointment". In my yearly letter to clients I told them I'd be in the office Mon 9-6 and Thurs 9-1, no appointment needed or need to call ahead to drop things off. Any other time to call because I may not be there. I did put in a caveat that if it's bad weather to call ahead because I might not be there and I plan on changing my VM if that's the case.

I do plan on being in the office Wed & Fri but I'm trying to keep that to work only. A 5 minute interruption took me 20 minutes to get back on track last year.

Great!

Thanks for the feedback. I am going to switch to "By appointment only"

We likewise lock our door and our hours are "by appointment only".

I've been "by appointment only" from day one of having my own company. I worked at a Firm that allowed walk-ins for 8 years and it was miserable. It helps set boundaries, too.

CornerstoneCPA wrote:I've been "by appointment only" from day one of having my own company. I worked at a Firm that allowed walk-ins for 8 years and it was miserable. It helps set boundaries, too.

Nice!!! 8-)

Return to Business Operations and Development