Converting Client QB Mac to QB Windows - Password Error

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
Wiles  
We have a client that uses QB for Mac. We ran the "Backup to Windows", restored on our system, but their Admin password is not working.

We tried the Forgot Password and the Intuit Password Reset Tool. Both of these give us the message "Unable to Reset Admin Password" at the end of the process.

Does anybody have any ideas?

Can they create an accountant user in QB for Mac? I've never used it to know if it has this ability like QBD for Windows...

Try with no password.

For some reason this conversion strips out the password and you are free to add your own password once the file ends up on your machines.

Wiles  
Got it to work!! Thought I would leave some notes in case this can help somebody else.

The key seemed to be that their QB file was showing as Version 2005 and I was trying to use Version 2022 to open it.

It wasn't until I used the File Manager to check the version that I realized it showed up as Version 2005. I just assumed they had a more recent version of QB for Mac. Or maybe the data traveled back in time when they did the Backup to Windows on their Mac.

I no longer have Version 2005 on my workstation, but I still had Version 2013. And in that copy of the program, the Forgot Password - Password Reset tool worked.

Interestingly, when I reset the password to something like 2358Cpa$, that password did not work. But 2358cpa$ did .(Note the lowercase c). This wasn't me and my fat fingers. They had two data files, and this was true in both sets. I paid attention on the 2nd run of this and made sure I typed in an upper case C at the reset (the reset requires upper and lower case), but then when I later logged in to update to Version 2013, the password would only accept the lowercase c.

Thanks for sharing these details.

I have a client that runs MAC and know first hand that the MAC year version never aligns with the same year version for windows.

I usually have to drop back a couple years. It's one of the clients I hate to work on because of the transfer time suck.

Wiles  
My time suck was 2.30 hours on this, plus I am sure about the same for our bookkeeper who tried to restore the file 4 times before giving up.

Return to Business Operations and Development