SaaS

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
tr7111  
Has anybody had success with software as a service solutions like hosted Lacerte etc? We're trying to move this direction.

We want to reach the point where we no longer have a physical server in office.

This is how I set up my new office.
I have a virtual server through Infinitely Virtual, which is where Lacerte lives.
My practice management, doc mgmt, and time & billing software (Firm 360) is fully web based. So, I can access it seamlessly on my desktop (laptop) or via the server.
I have phones through Microsoft Teams, which I can answer via my cell phone (through the Teams app), if I so desire.

It's working pretty well so far.

I opted not to go with RightNetworks hosting of Lacerte because they don't allow you to control the virtual environment. I've heard some horror stories about updates not being pushed out in a timely manner, which shied me away from that.
~Captcook

tr7111  
Firm 360 looks interesting. We've been looking for one universal remote to do everything for us. RIght now we have a patchwork of tools including safesend, practice CS time and billing, more than one portal, docusign etc etc. its ridiculous.

tr7111 wrote:Firm 360 looks interesting. We've been looking for one universal remote to do everything for us. RIght now we have a patchwork of tools including safesend, practice CS time and billing, more than one portal, docusign etc etc. its ridiculous.

Yeah, that's a real problem, but very common. I refused to have to learn/train on multiple platforms. The other side is that I have a lot of eggs in one basket, but I've been impressed with the experience and responsiveness so far.
~Captcook

wel  
I suspect that by around 10 years from now, we'll see that most of our software solutions are truly cloud-based (similar to QBO).
Once that happens, there won't be much need for hosting applications that were designed to operate in a desktop / server environment.

I've used RightNetworks (RN), and TR's Virtual Office (VO) hosting platforms. While I've had frustrations with both from time to time, they ultimately worked very well about 99% of the time. (I don't recall the name for the service that we had with RN, but it was different + better than the remote desktop-type environment that is used for QB hosting.) The big advantage that RN has over VO is that VO is limited to TR applications (so no hosting of QB Desktop, or other non-TR applications).

While it takes time adjusting to get used to working in a hosted / cloud environment, it is worthwhile. The larger your team, the more worthwhile it is. Not having a physical server makes you much less vulnerable to a ransomware attack.

smtcpa  
We've used Verito to host UltraTax for the last 5 years, and Infinitely Virtual for a few years before that. Both work great.

In case you are asking around, hosting on a remote server is not the same as SaaS. It is a different service/product and you will get different answers based on what you ask.

I moved QBD and Lacerte to a virtual server with Kamatera. Never had any downtown or issues (knock on wood). I can access from any device as long as I have internet, and I can install any software I want on it (unlike RightNetworks and other major hosts that cater to software providers).

wel  
[quote="smtcpa"In case you are asking around, hosting on a remote server is not the same as SaaS. It is a different service/product and you will get different answers based on what you ask.[/quote]

That's a very good point! True SaaS is more like a "subscription" - with a fee per month/year - like QBO, Office365, etc.
More and more software companies have been moving in that direction for a while. Eventually, we'll probably get to the point where there aren't many applications that are licensed for unlimited use forever.

Right...my point is SaaS is not always the best option since they restrict the software you may install on their own servers, which function identically to a virtual server.

Return to Business Operations and Development