Spouses Use Different Preparers

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
Am I the only one that feels that its weird when a husband and wife uses a different preparer if they have a cordial relationship? I've been steering away from these types of engagements where one of the spouses wants to use my service while the other spouse uses another preparer and they file married filing separate every year. I don't know why but arrangements make me feel weird, but I'm open to some opinions.

Thanks!

HowardS  
Divorce attorneys sometimes advise this. I'll do both spouses but I caution them on a possible conflict of interest and let them decide.
Retired, no salvage value.

I'm talking about a completely amicable relationship. Wife doesn't like husband's business income... or something like that.

Yes 100%
I don't accept most s-corp/partnership clients anymore unless I'm going to prepare all the owner's returns.

I tell them (and I truly believe) they will get the most value out of me if I have a full view of the situation.
It's not often, but I don't like to feel like I'm being played off another professional.
~Captcook

I'm fine with it if it passes the sniff test. e.g. They're in the process of getting divorced.

If they said they weren't comfortable with the other spouse's business it would likely make me feel like something shady was going on and pass. Potentially high risk.

CaptCook wrote:I don't accept most s-corp/partnership clients anymore unless I'm going to prepare all the owner's returns.

I tell them (and I truly believe) they will get the most value out of me if I have a full view of the situation.

I also don't accept a business client unless we get at least one of the owner's compliance work as well.

Nor do I provide only consulting services without the annual compliance. Way too much synergy there for both the firm and client.

Miami88  
I have 2 separate clients like this.

The first has potential high liability and doesn't want his wife to be (potenitally) negatively impacted.

The second is the wife (both were my teachers in HS) of a very long-term couple. Been together for 40 years, married for 20. Second marriage for both and they just want to keep all things financial separate.

sjrcpa  
Miami88 wrote:Second marriage for both and they just want to keep all things financial separate.

This.
I have no problem with it.

IMO, odds are that MFS tax returns in general are a warning sign.

If you want to be picky with who you take in a vacuum, this is a good type of situation to turn away.

Of course there are many exceptions, especially the one's ITT.

I'm just playing the odds here for new inquiries.
Last edited by ItDepends on 8-Feb-2023 9:45pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yeah I've had two people reach out this week and state their spouse goes to someone else and I've turned em away. I don't feel like dealing with any crummy situation that can come of it

CathysTaxes  
I was relieved when client's ex came to me for tax preparation and he was jumping for joy.

Their stupid lawyers has them alternating claiming their two daughters. Ex did her own return and claimed both and we had to paper file. First year of covid, he didn't get his refund until December. Then the next year she took dependent care credit for both girls so I suggested she pay him the difference. Now his return goes right through and her returns are correct.
Cathy
CathysTaxes

I have a client I inherited from a merging firm. His wife is a CPA managing partner in a firm in a neighboring town.

Return to Business Operations and Development