SonicWall Global VPN for a Mac?

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
Wiles  
Any Mac users out there?

We use SonicWall Global VPN for our remote users to remote directly into their workstation. The Global VPN is a free download and works great for everyone at home with a Windows laptop.

One of our users only has a Mac laptop at home. Is there a Mac version of the same or similar program?

Thanks!

I own a Mac for various reasons, including to see how clients view things given I am otherwise Windows based.

I'm less concerned about Mac and more concerned about why you're allowing anyone to use personal devices to connect to your network. That is a major risk and exposure, and since it is a personal device, you face more restrictions in what you can and cannot do to monitor or control their activities.

My little rant aside, there are Mac friendly software VPNs that at least provide an encrypted connection but they can still be disabled. I use these (BitDefender VPN but I am also testing out SurfShark VPN since it is much faster), but my employees also know how seriously I take security and that if I find their VPN is disabled for any extended period of time and without valid cause (such as accessing online banking for clients), it can be a terminable offense.

Wiles  
Thank you.

The control is at their office workstation level. They RDP directly into their local workstation.

Wiles wrote:Thank you.

The control is at their office workstation level. They RDP directly into their local workstation.

Be mindful that with RDP connections, if they connect any drives and the computer they are connecting FROM is infected with a virus, malware, or worse, they can infect the connected computer and vice versa. That is why I do not allow anyone to use personal devices to connect to any of my systems except perhaps a smartphone if they want email access via MS Outlook with organization policies applied.

Wiles  
Are BitDefender & SurfShark a VPN Client app?

It appears MacOS has it's own VPN Client. See https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-hel ... lp2963/mac

sjrcpa  
CornerstoneCPA wrote:I do not allow anyone to use personal devices to connect to any of my systems except perhaps a smartphone if they want email access via MS Outlook with organization policies applied.

Same here. Everyone gets a company laptop, configured to our specs. Those are the only devices that can connect to our network.

Wiles wrote:Are BitDefender & SurfShark a VPN Client app?

It appears MacOS has it's own VPN Client. See https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-hel ... lp2963/mac

Yes, they're client VPNs. RDP is encrypted by default but I want a VPN, too. Even the server runs a VPN connection. Effectively, traffic is being encrypted three three times between RDP and the "client" VPNs. All other software is cloud, so two forms of encryption between VPN and SSL.

Return to Business Operations and Development