How much does UltraTax go up after the promotional period?

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
Hi guys, so I am just starting with ultra tax. Someone online just told me I should expect it to "triple" in three years.

I couldn't get an answer about how exactly the promotional period works. I reached out to my rep. I'm currently paying $11,000 for 4 licenses on the hosted version. I honestly thought that was the price.. but I'm sure my rep explained that it was a promotional period and I just wasn't listening.

How much should I expect the price to go up in three years? Is it really triple?
Know your worth, then add tax!

smtcpa  
I would go straight to their price list and calculate it.

https://tax.thomsonreuters.com/content/ ... celist.pdf

I think my old firm was at about 16k for 4 network licenses on a local install. I think we got to about 20k with prp codes etc.

smtcpa wrote:I would go straight to their price list and calculate it.

So would I but I can't make sense of those prices. Those are less than I'm paying right now.

ReckedCPAEA wrote:I think my old firm was at about 16k for 4 network licenses on a local install. I think we got to about 20k with prp codes etc.

Interesting! We do the unlimited prps.

Stevuke79 wrote:
ReckedCPAEA wrote:I think my old firm was at about 16k for 4 network licenses on a local install. I think we got to about 20k with prp codes etc.

Interesting! We do the unlimited prps.

I do unlimited PRPs.. but I'm actually thinking of doing PRP for states. Why not? Maybe 20% of our returns have a state.. and we can just tack it on to our fee. (we barely charge for states which is a problem)

Stevuke79 wrote:So would I but I can't make sense of those prices. Those are less than I'm paying right now.

There's little to no chance that your prices will be lower when your promotional period ends.

Add up each module separately that you will have. 1040s are a separate module from 1120s which are a separate module from 1065s, etc. Do the math to see which modules you would benefit from unlimited pricing on and which ones you won't. State returns tend to be breakeven around 20, and the unlimited 1040 is a bit higher than 100 returns, and every state and module has a separate breakeven number. Plus add the charges for Virtual Office, etc.

Otherwise you can have a friendly chat with your customer service representative to see what your fees might look like after the promotional period ends.

missingdonut wrote:
Stevuke79 wrote:So would I but I can't make sense of those prices. Those are less than I'm paying right now.

There's little to no chance that your prices will be lower when your promotional period ends.

Add up each module separately that you will have. 1040s are a separate module from 1120s which are a separate module from 1065s, etc. Do the math to see which modules you would benefit from unlimited pricing on and which ones you won't. State returns tend to be breakeven around 20, and the unlimited 1040 is a bit higher than 100 returns, and every state and module has a separate breakeven number. Plus add the charges for Virtual Office, etc.

Otherwise you can have a friendly chat with your customer service representative to see what your fees might look like after the promotional period ends.

Yes, I know my price can't be lower than what I currently have. Remember, I'm an accountant, just like you ;)

This is why the prices I see on the website don't make sense to me and I am asking here. (I reached out to my rep as well. However, I expected him to be inclined to understate the increases, therefore I am asking here to people who have actual experience.)

Stevuke79 wrote:
missingdonut wrote:

This is why the prices I see on the website don't make sense to me and I am asking here. (I reached out to my rep as well. However, I expected him to be inclined to understate the increases, therefore I am asking here to people who have actual experience.)

It's possible that the rep will understate the increases, but I couldn't comment one way or the other on what your rep might do.

This is the last tax season of my UT price lock-in, and I can estimate how much UT is supposed to cost me next year because I know how many 1040s, 1120s, which states, I need for my firm. But none of us here know your situation, and it would be a tough ask for anyone here to try and figure out your pricing for you, especially this time of the year. If you can't make heads or tails out of the price list (which is understandable), your account rep is best positioned to help you out.

I can only add one more thing. Past discussions with my account reps have led them to be willing to throw in a secondary program (such as FileCabinet or Fixed Assets) as an incentive to renew early. I don't know if they're still willing to do that, but when it comes time to meet the reaper of UT's normal pricing, you might be able to negotiate for an added product if it would be useful in your firm.

MWEA  
I’m a Drake user currently, but decided to go with Ultra Tax for next year. Plan to do my extensions in it to learn it.

I already have some buyers remorse. I’m hoping I get over it. Drake was unable to integrate with safe send returns which was a selling point for UT. I also wanted to try it for myself to see if the efficiencies are there that I keep hearing about.

I can accept the difference in pricing at the promotional level around 10K. If that comes close to doubling after three years, that makes me question the decision. My rep made it sound like getting out of the promotional, unlimited package and slimming it down would help keep the price roughly the same. I don’t know if that’s true.

Part of me wonders if I should keep doing my regular returns in Drake and the corporate/more complicated returns in UT. But then I lose the safe send efficiencies I’m hoping the gain.

I use Lacerte and using SafeSend on the back end for delivery has been awesome. My assembly time is down to about 5min per return. The first couple were more than 30min, but I took the time to write up the procedure and my admin staff have it down to about 12 min and they're still improving.
~Captcook

smtcpa  
I assumed you were on SaaS and if you look at those prices, with 4 licenses, you are looking at $33,827/year (or $28,748/year for tax only). I don't see how the prices online show you'd pay less.

With VO, I believe you pay the full boat for the software plus the $147-179/mo per person. But I have never been on VO myself so I am not sure. But it will depend totally on which UT products you will need. I host my UT/Planner/FC on a hosted server and I will pay about $22,000 plus server hosting fees.

Stevuke79 wrote:
smtcpa wrote:I would go straight to their price list and calculate it.

So would I but I can't make sense of those prices. Those are less than I'm paying right now.

Return to Business Operations and Development