CrossLink Tax Software

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
CathysTaxes  
Has anyone every used it? Pros, cons, etc?
Cathy
CathysTaxes

I know this is old, just curious if you gave this program a try? If so, what did you think?

ATSMAN  
I demoed it and was not impressed for various reasons. I did not find a good value proposition (cost / benefits).

CathysTaxes  
I didn't try it. I now many years ago we used their efile only software.
Cathy
CathysTaxes

Thanks for the feedback. I just did a quick demo as well - not impressed.

Although, I've been demoing software for about 2 months now & haven't found anything that I like & can afford. Ugh. Might throw in the towel before I even get started.

ATSMAN  
Zamabehr wrote:Although, I've been demoing software for about 2 months now & haven't found anything that I like & can afford. Ugh. Might throw in the towel before I even get started.

I am not sure how much you are willing to spend, but professional tax software will run you between $1000 to $1500 per license. If that is too rich for you, there are other software like $300 to $600 but I would not recommend them.

I'm just starting out. I'm willing to spend some money if the program will actually work! But I can't really fork out $7K on software this year. I feel like I either have to pay a TON for ok software or get crappy software. I want the AMAZING software!!!

What have you tried that you do not like? Intuit (excuse my language) Proconnect Online is pay as you go. It might cost you $40 per return, but they offer deals throughout the season. I used it for four seasons, before I switched to TaxAct last year. I prefer TaxAct.

$7,000 on software sounds like you are aiming at the upper end without the added bells and whistles. I would love ProsystemFx but for my dozen or so clients, I know I cannot justify the cost.

So my biggest complaint about most software is calculating depreciation and having the assets flow to the correct schedules. I don't have a lot of clients, but most of them are either expats, on a schedule C, or have rental property. Also, about half of them are remote. I am trying to make sure there is a good asset manager, and good communication for the client to view/sign the return.

makbo  
ATSMAN wrote:professional tax software will run you between $1000 to $1500 per license. If that is too rich for you, there are other software like $300 to $600 but I would not recommend them.

UltraTax is usually considered one of the higher end products (it handles depreciation correctly!) and the cost for a PPR (pay per return) license is just $255. This allows you to use all current and prior year products, you only have to pay when you want to print or efile. Assuming you collect your fee from the client at or prior to time of filing, there is no cash flow problem with paying the PPR fee (they only bill semi-monthly during tax season). As the practice grows, you can switch to unlimited licenses when the number of returns makes that the better deal.

ATSMAN  
At $225 per return to file may be too rich for someone with a handful of clients!

makbo  
ATSMAN wrote:At $225 per return to file may be too rich for someone with a handful of clients!

That's not what I wrote, if you are responding to my comment. $255 (not $225) is the one time annual PRP license fee, not the per return charge.

makbo wrote:
ATSMAN wrote:professional tax software will run you between $1000 to $1500 per license. If that is too rich for you, there are other software like $300 to $600 but I would not recommend them.

UltraTax is usually considered one of the higher end products (it handles depreciation correctly!) and the cost for a PPR (pay per return) license is just $255. This allows you to use all current and prior year products, you only have to pay when you want to print or efile. Assuming you collect your fee from the client at or prior to time of filing, there is no cash flow problem with paying the PPR fee (they only bill semi-monthly during tax season). As the practice grows, you can switch to unlimited licenses when the number of returns makes that the better deal.

Correct and excellent advice. I did this with Lacerte when I first started my business. The more returns I prepared the cheaper the per return cost. Of course the PRP cost was fixed, so it was more expensive per return than a competition, but my out of pocket cost was well under $1,000 and spread out over tax season and the related collections.

If it were me now I would use UT and do the same thing until my client base warranted a change. Even now I have states that are PRP and UT will call me and analyze which states I should add unlimited service to (when I’m close to the breakk-even point).

ATSMAN  
makbo wrote:
ATSMAN wrote:At $225 per return to file may be too rich for someone with a handful of clients!

That's not what I wrote, if you are responding to my comment. $255 (not $225) is the one time annual PRP license fee, not the per return charge.

My mistake. I thought it was $255 per return for Ultratax. So with a $255 one time fee what is the charge per return to e-file?

makbo  
https://tax.thomsonreuters.com/wp-conte ... pdf#page=4

For a 1040 fed+state, $26+19+8=$53. However it doesn't take many returns to reach the unlimited state license threshold, thereby saving the $19 per return.

Printing client organizers, including engagement letters and consent letters, is available at no charge (i.e. even if the return itself is not yet licensed under PPR). (if delivering and signing electronically, there are separate per document fees of a few dollars). I recall that ProSeries charges separately for printing organizers & letters under PPR license.

Oh my goodness you guys! UT sounds exactly like what I'm looking for. Most of the reviews make it sound like it will do what I want - I was figuring it would be out of my price range. I have no problem doing PPR this season, as I will pass those expenses on to my clients.

I have sent them several emails and since I haven't received a response, I'm a little concerned about customer service. I am planning on calling them today to discuss their services.

Here's to hoping that this is the solution I have been searching for!! You guys rock! Thank you SO much for all your wonderful advice!!

Return to Business Operations and Development