trial balance software

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
I am looking at software options to prepare tbws and financial statements. I have been using creative solutions for years but they are discontinuing the product. I only need this for 4-5 clients so cost is a factor. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with "QTB Quick Trial Balance Pro" or "TBFS Writer"? Of course any other recommendations would be appreciated.

I am old fashioned and the Creative Solutions tbws looks just like what we used on 14 column paper which is why I loved it.

Can you acquire an ancient copy of ATB? We use Version 3.04 and it works for us on Windows 7 and 8.something.

Not successfully

Frankly  
Can you not continue to use it?

I still use ATB for our firm. it's the best TB software, period. it only works on 32 bit window 7 or window 8. it even work on our network.

if you are on a 64 bit window, you can still use it, but you will need to install a virtual machine, VMware. if you are computer savvy, just google it and it will solve your problem.

lckent  
I've used ATB on Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit systems with no problems.
CPA, Retired

COGS  
Ickent, You must have a newer version. Mine does not work on Windows 10. Hands down the best program bar none!

JAD  
Now we know how to make our millions. We don't need to do taxes. We just need to create a program that is as simple and competent as ATB. I've tried many and agree that it is the best, and I maintain a very old computer just for the sake of being able to continue using ATB.

COGS  
Apparently Lacerte 2017 will not be working on older computers. So this will be the year the older computers will need to be replaced. I just found this site and I am not totally certain, but it looks like you can download ATB and I wonder if it is the newer version referenced above that seems to work on Windows 10.

http://forum.oldversion.com/showthread. ... or-Windows

A Wikipedia article on that web site says:

OldVersion.com is an archive website that stores and distributes older versions of primarily Internet-related PC and Macintosh freeware and shareware application software. Alex Levine and Igor Dolgalev[3] founded the site in 2001.[4]
Levine created the site because "Companies make a lot of new versions. They're not always better for the consumer." As reported in the Wall Street Journal, " 'Users often try to downgrade when they find confusing changes in a new version or encounter software bugs, or just decide they want to go back to a more familiar version,' said David Smith, an analyst at research firm Gartner. 'Often, they discover that the downgrade process is complicated, if not impossible.' "[4]
When OldVersion.com was launched it offered 80 versions of 14 programs.[3] By 2005 over 500 versions were posted.[5] By 28 August 2007 this had grown to 2388 versions of 179 programs, in categories such as "graphics", "file-sharing", "security" and "enterprise".[6][7] The site also carries 600+ versions of 35 Macintosh programs.[8]
PC World has labeled the site "a treasure trove ... of older-but-better software";[9] the National Review calls OldVersion.com a "champion" for "software conservatives".[10]
According to Alexander Levines own words, he has apparently received threats from proprietary software developers for running an archive of obsolete internet browsers with known critical security flaws.[11]

Edit: Actually it appears there is not a down loadable file. I thought there was one. Sorry!

We were using ATB but since moving to Windows 7 the program has been buggy. Sometimes the prior year disappears, sometimes the current year rolls into the prior year column, and often AJEs are missing.

I have been looking for an alternate. It's crazy that a simple trial balance program doesn't exist.

COGS  
OK, we have to get serious and get a fix for ATB. This article discusses how to get old programs to run.

I think I will see if I can get my computer guy to try it.

https://www.howtogeek.com/228689/how-to ... indows-10/

kwkcpa  
Haven't used ATB in over a decade. We have been using TBS/CSA from Thompson but since that program is no longer supported and beginning to have issues popup I'm looking for another option. Really not interested in CCH so been looking as Caseware as a replacement.

If all you want is a simple down and dirty TB look at Pro-Ware. I think it's about $350. Not sure what renewals are though.
http://www.proware-cpa.com/qtb-features.html

Staff not happy with TR WorkPapers (the strange great great grandchild of ATB) because it's not simple and it doesn't have any drill down function so its hard to see what's going on with any account to which you made a lot of adjustments. What it does well is export to UltraTax.

kwkcpa  
lenraphael wrote:Staff not happy with TR WorkPapers (the strange great great grandchild of ATB) because it's not simple and it doesn't have any drill down function so its hard to see what's going on with any account to which you made a lot of adjustments. What it does well is export to UltraTax.

The export is about the only thing which keeps me with TR ACS/WPS. I downloaded a demo of Pro-Wares QTB and for $350, I'm fairly impressed. Much easier to use and a heck of a lot faster than TR ACS/WPS. If it had the export to UT, I'd buy in a heartbeat.

BTW, UT added the ability to import from Excel if the spreadsheet is formatted correctly. A decent programmer could easily make a TB program which could export balance to xls for import into UT.

kwkcpa, amen.

Correct me on this, but TR limits which tax lines Excel can be imported to fill, depending on the module and the form.

in UT 1040 full import for Schedule D and maybe interest/dividends.

in UT 1040 schedule C and E only import to the lines that have built in subschedules such as "other" expenses.

in UT business entity, I thought balance sheet line items could not be imported directly without using WP's. Let me know if I'm wrong, please.

Question: does full ACS have a drill down ability from the trial balance view into all activity for an account with full descriptions? Ctrl-L ? I just use WP's and when there are a lot of aje's to make, it's pita to see account activity because there's no GL.

kwkcpa  
lenraphael wrote:kwkcpa, amen.

Correct me on this, but TR limits which tax lines Excel can be imported to fill, depending on the module and the form.

That is no longer the case. They implemented a system last year which allows you to import entire schedules ie Sch C, E, F and even full 1120 and 1065 forms. The problem is you have to map every line to the tax return similar to the numbers you use in other TR products.

If a TB software would simply allow for mapping to TR's code and export to xls you could complete the entire UT form with no re-keying.

Funny, at least two techs didn't know that you could not import everything needed for a schedule from Excel iff Excel has the TR tax line groupings .

What do you mean by "If a TB software would simply allow for mapping to TR's code and export to xls you could complete the entire UT form with no re-keying." TR's WP's does that now. Doesn't ACS do that also?

So, is the main advantage of using TR's WP app is

1. whatever value you put on it's effectiveness as a trial balance app, and
2. if you consistently import or unput amounts to correct g/l accounts in WPS, and those G/L accounuts were correctly mapped to tax lines, then you only have to check for changes in gl accounts in the clients data you import to WP's , adjust, and then export to UT Doesn't sound worth it for excel shoebox rental properties or schedule c's. Might as well just code Excel directly.

kwkcpa  
lenraphael wrote:What do you mean by "If a TB software would simply allow for mapping to TR's code and export to xls you could complete the entire UT form with no re-keying." TR's WP's does that now. Doesn't ACS do that also?

Yes ACS/WPS from TR does this now.

What I mean is if a third party software such as QTB would allow for each account to be mapped to a UT code, you could export from that third party software to excel. Then open UT and use their import from tb utility to import the excel sheet into UT. Allows firms the ability to use non TR software and import results into UT via an excel import bridge.

FYI, this is a different screen/option than the standard ACS or CSA import. It is a new feature added this year to UT.

COGS  
KWK, Thank you for that link! That looks remarkably like ATB. Can you consolidate like ATB?

I don't really like to import to the tax returns as I like to think about the presentation and unusual items as I prepare the tax returns. But this may be what I need. Sweet!!!

COGS  
I want to put out an update in the event anyone is facing the issue with the new Lacertte 64 bit requirement that has been running an old machine to keep ATB going. I bought Proware Trial Balance. It is about as close to ATB as we will ever see. So far staff has been setting it up and I don't have much direct experience. But the feedback has been very positive. Just putting it out there as I know just this week the Lacerte issue is at hand.

Next

Return to Business Operations and Development