Accounting CS Thompson update of system

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
jon  
My practice consists of about 60 business returns and 300 individual returns. I do no auditing or reviews. In fact I have no financials with disclosures. The new accounting package seems to be a lot more sophiscated than I want - I will miss the easy transfer to the business returns from the financials, but can still make it work. However, the payroll is also dropped and I need a good payroll program starting january of 2017.

TaxDude  
I tried their new program. They made it way too complicated and bloated, IMO; and it's slow. I'm currently using their old CSA program which I like. But since it's discontinued I too will be looking for something else soon.

They keep calling me about switching from CSA to Accounting CS. I'm holding out until the very end. I have very few bookkeeping clients, only one of which is very large. I really don't want to have to learn a new system, and if I am forced to, I would prefer it be something cheaper. Jon, have you already switched over? Are you saying that you can't easily transfer the numbers from the accounting program into the tax return?

jon  
I have exchanged Es a few times with Thompson. The cost the first year is a lot the first year after that it is probably about 35%-40% higher than I have paid before. The current system is great and all I need. Transfer to Ultra has worked for 17 years.

I do not need the bells and other improvements at all. At this point in my career we are not taking any new clients on, and by choice I will not audit, review or have disclosures. The system sounds like for sure that it is a pain to deal with and everything is slower with a big learning curve. Seaside you are younger, but I think our practices are somewhat similar. It has a lot of better options maybe - payroll, A/P, A/R, workpapers, GL none of which I need.

The transfer I am refering to is from old CS to Ultra may go away January, 2017. Payroll may be an alternative, but again there must be some exceptions they want to discuss.

smtcpa  
I've been watching the comments on ARNE for the last few years about Accounting CS and they have not been encouraging. My thought is to give it another year or so, but I may just continue moving to QB. I love CSA for the ability to import QB data, make a few entries and then use it to import to UT. Not sure what I'd use if I don't have CSA. But QB is a much easier program to use.

jon  
We tried years ago to import the QBs to CSA and found it cumbersome and just do it by general jurnal entry. QB, Account Edge and Peachtree are still out there for our clients. Still trying to make up our minds on what to do. The new CS system offers no improvements to us. We specialize in small business and tax. The new bells add nothing. I wish they would have waited a few more years - there are not many left for me.

I was made a really good offer last and year and bought it. The plan was to take a year to transfer my clients slowly. The first couple were extremely painful, slow, and the learning curve is huge. The program has some new features I like, but the big drawback isn't this isn't an upgrade.

It's a completely new program and the conversion is clunky and error prone.

Wiles  
Does QB import into UT?

For the last many years we have been using QB as our trial balance and bookkeeping software. We already had to buy QB in order to read our client's data files, so we decided, why not also use it for all of our general ledger needs. We only issue about 3 dozen or so actual annual financial statements, so re-typing numbers into a formatted Excel worksheet is really no big deal once they are set up. I can't really see the benefit for using CSA or its successor. I probably just don't know better.

COGS  
I guess I need a CE class in QuickBooks, because I can't imagine using it for quick adjusting entries, accrual to cash entries, etc. I use ATB and would quite frankly die without it. Yes I have to transfer manually to the tax returns, but I like that because I like the control. And the clients like the format of the AJEs. But I know my days may be numbered with that one. I don't think QB let's you consolidate separate sets of books like ATB does.

Return to Business Operations and Development