Tax Experiments in Lacerte

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
Neill  
I am annoyed. I asked Lacerte support how to run a tax experiment in the program without being charged. I got this response:

The REP access is a two part process, the first part creates the file in the program which allows you to view the forms, the second part is the actual billing part.
You will be prompted to obtain REP access anytime the Client number, Client name and/or Tax ID number is changed. However, only a change in the Tax ID would result in an additional REP fee being incurred.

You can copy the client file assigning a new client number, you will be prompted to obtain REP access as a result of the client number change. However, if the Tax ID for the client is NOT changed in the copied file an additional REP fee would not be incurred. This would allow you to make copies to determine tax affects without being charged another REP fee.

So a few days ago I tried this for the first time. Now I have a charge for this for a client I have already paid REP fees for.
Does anyone do this sort of thing? I was the support people told me rubbish?
I am annoyed I have to contact support to sort this out.
Thanks.
Neill.

I was the support people told me rubbish?

Yes, what they told you was rubbish. This has happened to me before, and you have to call and try to get a credit for the fees. Sometimes they give it to you, and sometimes they don't.

What they should have told you was to put "999-99-9999" as the identification number. Lacerte's systems are set up to recognize that as a "test" number and print "demo" on every page so that the return cannot be filed as is. You will still need to get REP access but there should be no charge.

Neill  
Thanks. Support confirms the 999-99-9999. Of course they said the other way worked though.
They reversed the charges (well they said they would).

We've never had a situation like this where they wouldn't reverse a charge for us.

Return to Business Operations and Development