EA, Tax Preparer Recruitment

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
Just passed parts 1 and 3 of the EA exam, taking part 2 in a few weeks. Anticipate passing and applying for enrollment in early September 2014.

MBA/BA graduate.
No previous accounting, bookkeeping or tax prep experience.
Looking for employment at any small CPA/EA Tax firm in Southern California starting October/November 2014.

Any leads, advice? Should I suck it up and head down to my local HRB for 1 or 2 seasons?

PS: A recent job search for EA/Tax Prep in my area showed a increased number of “tax resolution” firms popping up around my area. Is this a growing trend nationwide?

makbo  
You could do worse than work for H&R, probably many on this forum also started there. They won't pay a lot, but as an EA at least you won't start at the very bottom. They usually start their tax classes for people who need CTEC qualifying education around this time of year, but if you contact the district manager, you may be able to skip that as an EA.

Also, here in SF Bay Area, a lot of seasonal tax jobs are posted on Craigslist, not sure if same is true in SoCal.

No disrespect for HRB. Was hoping for small firm CPA/EA level training, so I could pick up more office skills, such as bookkeeping and payroll.
I’m going to repost this here and on Craig’s List later after I’m official.

RandolphEA wrote:hoping for small firm CPA/EA level training, so I could pick up more office skills, such as bookkeeping and payroll

To many companies "office skills" means generalities--customer service, teamwork, basic computer literacy like Excel. Bookkeeping and payroll are technical fields one gets into either with formal coursework or with slow on-the-job training in data entry. An EA is already qualified for tax work, so I suggest you focus on that in the beginning. Grab every Schedule C you can, with an occasional simple partnership or corporation, and you will have a quick start into accounting issues.

The national chains will offer you maximum volume and variety. A small, independent firm probably won't pay much to start anyway, and likely won't be able to support your training needs very well.

Thanks for great advice.

Can anyone elaborate on the HRB Master Tax Advisor position?

makbo  
RandolphEA wrote:Can anyone elaborate on the HRB Master Tax Advisor position?

Yes, your local H&R district manager can.

RandolphEA wrote:Can anyone elaborate on the HRB Master Tax Advisor position?

It's not a "position" as such. It is an internal certification H&R Block uses for its own employees, apparently based on experience and education.

Although it seems to emphasize that most of their employees do not have a high level of experience and education, it does show the company's commitment to professional development. That commitment may help you starting out.

Thanks for everyone's advice. I have been researching HRB and found that the Master Tax Advisor is an internal certification for HRB employees that any circular 230 professional, such as CPA, lawyer or EA can earn after completing a few representation courses. I am now leaning toward this option to begin my tax career.

It would help if you took some accounting classes.

In my area it is extremely difficult to find accounting-audit jobs; unless you are an accounting masters degree candidate. Firms only recruit at certain times and they want younger accounting masters candidates, preferring those able to intern.
Although I do not have an accounting degree, I've taken enough accounting courses to qualify for the CPA exam. I've taken BEC and REG. I'm also familiar with the topics in FAR, which a lot of EA part 2 covers. Unfortunately, I've not had any luck with finding accounting employment, thus have decided to pursue a tax career.

Riki_EA  
For bookkeeping training, you might want to look into the Intuit Quickbooks ProAdvisor program and do the various certification courses.

Taxaway  
If you decide to work for HRB, consider applying for the offseason part-time positions in the local year-round office, sometime in April. This is how you can get into the nitty-gritty of dealing with IRS letters, amendments, multiple years, even audit representation if you've attained your EA certification by then. You may not see much of this during the regular tax season.

Return to Business Operations and Development