Tax Planning Software

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
I ran a quick search and surprisingly didn't find a thread on this. What planning software do you all use (if any) and would you recommend it? I have created a spreadsheet that suits most of my needs, but starting to need something more robust for some of my more complex clients.

I've worked with two different planning software. One linked to UltraTax and one linked to ProSystem Fx. The one linked to UT was rather easy to use and could be manipulated in various ways. The one linked to Pfx is very difficult to use...kind of like the core program.

I have my own separate spreadsheet too. Took a while to get the programming right for AMT, Pease, CG rates, and various phaseouts, but it works OK now.
~Captcook

My spreadsheet sounds like the Beta version of your spreadsheet : )

What was the UT-linked software you liked?

sjrcpa  
I use BNA with 50 states for individual tax planning. Lacerte and UltraTax have a link/bridge to it (at an addl cost)

BullCityCPA wrote:My spreadsheet sounds like the Beta version of your spreadsheet : )

What was the UT-linked software you liked?

I think it was called Planner. It was a part of the CSA bundle.
~Captcook

makbo  
CaptCook wrote:I think it was called Planner. It was a part of the CSA bundle.

Planner CS. It can be purchased unbundled (separately). It even lets me print reports for clients I entered in UltraTax, without yet paying the PPR fee in that program. I didn't expect that projecting annualized estimated tax payments for the current calendar year would be so popular with my higher-end clients, this software allows me to do that, plus it aids in filling out the Form 2106.

I've been looking at Planner CS but it runs about a grand per year. Seems pretty pricey to me.

makbo  
BullCityCPA wrote:I've been looking at Planner CS but it runs about a grand per year. Seems pretty pricey to me.

I agree it is priced on the high side with one state included. (I should note it does a lot more than just annualized income forecasting, I first got it for a client with many shares and options of employer stock, needs to figure multiple-year scenarios of AMT vs. regular tax depending on quantity exercised & sold. Also good for more sophisticated MFS v MFJ than basic tax program.) And there are a few things I find, annoyingly, it does not do, at least not automatically.

The first year you order the license, say May 2016 for TY2016, you also get immediate access to the current version, so that is somewhat of an up-front discount (1.5 years for price of 1 year). Being planning software, it is useful for multiple tax years.

sjrcpa  
The BNA Planner is pricy,too

I use ProFX and BNA. Both are pricey but I don't think either can be beat on quality. ProFX can export to BNA.

Wiles  
BullCity, What tax software do you use? We use Lacerte and they have a Tax Planner module at no additional cost.

I am not sure how complex you need, but have you checked out CFS Tax Tools? https://www.taxtools.com It fairly inexpensive and should be better than your spreadsheet.

JAD  
BNA is amazing and is well worth the cost, IMO

sjrcpa  
I agree with you JAD

wel  
I've used the Lacerte Planner, BNA (with ProFx), and Planner CS (with UltraTax). The Lacerte Planner is great for simple plans (and easy to use), but BNA and Planner CS are much more capable for more complex planning. From what I recall, Planner CS is/was easier to use than BNA.

I use BNA because it reflects the code and has timely updates, so I trust its tax projections.

But it's like working with a 1987 MS-DOS program. The UI is tedious for entering many common things (you are often forced several worksheet layers deep). Last time I demoed the online version it wasn't appealing, but maybe that's improved. My biggest beef, though, is that while it's good for figuring the tax bill, it lacks a way of turning that into W-4 and (for CA) DE-4 settings, to get a mid-year client on track for withholding.

What's current feeling about BNA vs TR CS Tax Planner? Used BNA for years and while I could get it to do what I wanted, always thought it was amazingly deficient on basic stuff like stock option AMT scenarios. And you had to calculate some state numbers yourself.

Am trying out TR CS Planner now. The import from UltraTax has some strange limitations.eg. no installment sales. No overpayments applied. And nothing from the UT state returns as previously filed.

Neither BNA nor TR UTP have a way for reviewer to tick numbers that have been reviewed.

Does either of them calculate the resident state credit for tax paid to other states?

Len Raphael

sjrcpa  
BNA will calculate resident state credit for tax paid to other state-provided you do the nonresident state in BNA. It is not always easy. You can manually enter the OSTC, too.

What surprised me (unpleasantly) today was TR UTPlanner tech support getting back to me on why the capital gain shown on a 2016 UT return did not import int UTPlanner. Seems that UTP won't calculate any gains on sales. You have to do a calculation Excel etc of any gains, including plain vanilla gains on sales of stock.

Not as if BNA Planner is any great shakes on gain calculations, but it does have a "transaction" section for dates, cost, proceeds. Both UTP and BNA do allow you to create subschedules, but only one level deep.

I'm close to returning UTP and sticking with BNA for these tumultuous tax times.

makbo  
lenraphael wrote:Am trying out TR CS Planner now. The import from UltraTax has some strange limitations.eg. no installment sales. No overpayments applied. And nothing from the UT state returns as previously filed.

Does either of them calculate the resident state credit for tax paid to other states?

[...] What surprised me (unpleasantly) today was TR UTPlanner tech support getting back to me on why the capital gain shown on a 2016 UT return did not import int UTPlanner. Seems that UTP won't calculate any gains on sales.

I'm a little puzzled by these comments. OK, they do say this about installment sales: "Planner CS does not calculate the gain or loss from an installment sale. You must manually determine the gain or loss, then enter it in the applicable field." So, they did not replicate Form 6252 functionality. Questionable, perhaps, but certainly not one of the more common forms across all taxpayers.

But I have not seen the problems you seem to be seeing with overpayments applied, importing prior year resident state returns, or importing capital gains in general. I only have one state module, so I'm not sure how automatic the OSTC is.

I don't suppose you can post an example that illustrates the problems you're having? That is, a TY2016 return in UltraTax, that does not import correctly into Planner?

makbo  
Regarding entering details in UTP -- use the allocations pop up. This is a statement available for most data entry fields where you can enter as much detail as you want. I used this quite often, so for example to show cap gains you can enter the proceeds on one line and the basis as a negative on another -- no need for a separate spreadsheet. You can access by double clicking, or right-click with mouse to bring up the menu.

"Allocations window
Use the Allocations window to enter detailed information or multiple items for most data-entry fields."

I also recommend the "Field Help" menu choice from right-click, it often explains what you might be looking for about any particular field.

UTP of course is not a perfect tool, and it takes some work to get used to the eccentricities. I find I use it more often than I expected to create annualized plans for those with highly uneven income during the year (stock options, excercises, etc). It also makes for much cleaner presentation to a client as opposed to actual tax forms, and is nice for summarizing fed and state together.

The only other tool I've used is the ProSeries built-in planner and "what if", which I always found confusing as to which one I really needed, there is some overlap. At least UTP calculates AMT including min tax credit, something ProSeries never really did very well if at all.

Next

Return to Business Operations and Development