What's the biggest game changer in the past year for you?

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
dingus  
In other words, what change, i.e. new software, new process, new policy, has had the biggest impact on your firm in terms of better results?

For example, the biggest game changer for us is that we've implement a fixed fee structure for business clients who pay a monthly fee for general tax/accounting consulting as well as their 1120S, 1099's, payroll, bookkeeping, tax planning etc. There have been some kinks, but it's been overall really great for both client satisfaction and realization.

So what's your biggest game changer in the last year? (or two or three...)

For my firm that would have to be a combination of two things.

First going paperless (or as close to paperless as I can get). That has made a huge difference in how I work.

Second is the implementation of dual monitors.

I did both in 2008 so it's been longer than the time period that you specified, but I look back at my practice those two steps made the largest change that my practice has seen in decades (yep I've been at it for decades).

belle  
I too, am attempting the paperless route. Retraining this old dog is difficult :-).
I've used dual monitors for several years, and I'm contemplating going with three. The increase in productivity with two was tremendous; I'm not sure if the curve will continue with three tho.

No doubt about the dual monitors and the paperless storage, although that was done several years ago. Definitely was an increase in productivity. I have 6 workstations and the cost of the dual monitors paid for itself almost immediately. I am considering a third monitor, but my Windows 7 computers balk at it, so I've put it off.

However, the biggest change in 2014 was implementation of a "real" server, instead of a peer to peer server network. I haven't gone through a "tax season" with it yet (put it in in June), but I already can't believe the increase in speed and stability over the peer to peer network.
Jim
Pettit Financial Services

dingus  
PETITFIN wrote:No doubt about the dual monitors and the paperless storage, although that was done several years ago. Definitely was an increase in productivity. I have 6 workstations and the cost of the dual monitors paid for itself almost immediately. I am considering a third monitor, but my Windows 7 computers balk at it, so I've put it off.

I would love to have three monitors. I did deep research on it, and as you found, it's difficult to know if it will work. I actually just did a bit of research, and I have a laptop with a VGA (which currently supports monitor #2) and HDMI ports. I'm going to buy this $8 cable on amazon (http://www.amazon.com/BlueRigger-Speed-Adapter-Cable-Meters/dp/B004S4R5CK/ref=cm_srch_res_rtr_1) and test a third monitor which I will borrow from a coworker and I think it should work. (At least, it should work according to some brief youtube videos made by smart college kids.)

dingus  
However, the biggest change in 2014 was implementation of a "real" server, instead of a peer to peer server network. I haven't gone through a "tax season" with it yet (put it in in June), but I already can't believe the increase in speed and stability over the peer to peer network.

I wish Drake had some kind of cloud functionality to accomplish the same thing. I don't want to "adopt" this technology when everything is moving to the cloud and everything I do (except for tax software) is already there.

I work about half at home and half at the office, so unless I want to dial in all the time via a VPN or some other early 2000's sounding buzzword, I need some cloud action, people!

dingus  
Re: going paperless, yes, this is fantastic.

Here's an idea I've been toying with for the upcoming season:

Alert all clients that we are going paperless. When they give us a pile of papers, it would get scanned, and immediately returned, not held until the engagement is complete.

Then, when it's complete, they'll get everything delivered digitally, including the tax returns for them to sign...And maybe those that don't want to get digital are not the cromagnons that become fully digital human clients?

Wiles  
Alert all clients that we are going paperless. When they give us a pile of papers, it would get scanned, and immediately returned, not held until the engagement is complete.

Why bother scanning piles of papers? Just use these papers when preparing the return and then give them back to the client when you are done. No scanning, no copying. Saves time, saves space.

We don't scan all workpapers, although in the last 3 years we HAVE gone from scanning just W2's and 1099R's, etc to also scanning any hand written notes given us by the client (for our protection!). Doesn't really take any hard drive space to speak of, and makes it easier when the dreaded letters start showing up. But we don't scan all the receipts, etc. Goes with the sign above my desk .... "NO SHOEBOXES ALLOWED". lol
Jim
Pettit Financial Services

makbo  
All tax return raw data entry deserves some kind of two-pass review. If you're a sole practitioner, time is on your side. If you are going to initially scan all client paper before beginning prep work, as I do, you need a method equivalent to the checkmark that I presume Wiles puts on the analog client originals every time he enters a number on the return.

dingus  
What do you use for that makbo? Ie the digital check marks...

makbo  
Adobe Acrobat is software that I consider indispensable to the paperless tax office. One feature is the "SIgn Here" stamp, which can be applied to show as a green checkmark, added with Ctrl-K keystroke and a mouse click. My primary tax software (UT) also has a basic, configurable checkmark facility for each tax return field where data can be entered. You can set up your own protocol for marking when a data entry field has been single, double, or triple checked.

My original Acrobat v.9 software license was bundled with my Fujitsu ScanSnap a few years ago; I have since updated my license to v.11 at a reduced upgrade rate.

makbo wrote:All tax return raw data entry deserves some kind of two-pass review. If you're a sole practitioner, time is on your side. If you are going to initially scan all client paper before beginning prep work, as I do, you need a method equivalent to the checkmark that I presume Wiles puts on the analog client originals every time he enters a number on the return.

I use the exact same method. All client paper work is scanned and used as a data entry source.

makbo wrote:Adobe Acrobat is software that I consider indispensable to the paperless tax office. One feature is the "SIgn Here" stamp, which can be applied to show as a green checkmark, added with Ctrl-K keystroke and a mouse click. My original Acrobat v.9 software license was bundled with my Fujitsu ScanSnap a few years ago; I have since updated my license to v.11 at a reduced upgrade rate.

I use this process as well. I use Adobe Acrobat Professional to create digital check marks on my copy of the source documents (red check mark for initial entry and green check mark for final review).

I also use Adobe Acrobat Professional to create digital forms that I use for review check lists.

I have a Fujitsu Scan Snap S510 which has been running flawlessly for several years now.

At the end of the return process I prepare a CD for the client that contains their copies of the tax returns along with a copy of the source documents (I also return to them all of the original documents). I have been doing this for several years and have received great feedback from my clients regarding the CD.

Wiles  
If you are going to initially scan all client paper before beginning prep work, as I do, you need a method equivalent to the checkmark that I presume Wiles puts on the analog client originals every time he enters a number on the return.

No tickmarks on client documents, however we may make notes to aid in our review process. Our review process is done by a 2nd person. A 2nd set of eyes. Among other things, the reviewer confirms the input of things like W-2's, 1099s, 1098s, K-1s,... For example, the reviewer will run a tape (in Excel) of all 1099-INT Box 1 and confirms it against the total interest income on the tax return.

We did explore scanning everything on the front-end, but, in our opinion, this process only added time to the job. Especially, since it is very rare that the client walks in with all of their documents and in that right order. We then made the bold decision that we don't need (and it is not our responsibility) to keep copies of things like 1099s, 1098s, donation statements/receipts, ...
Last edited by Wiles on 28-Aug-2014 9:20am, edited 2 times in total.

CathysTaxes  
I enter the client info, check off what I've entered, then I scan everything in. When I do my review, I use the yellow highlighter on client's documents.
Cathy
CathysTaxes

dingus  
makbo wrote:Adobe Acrobat is software that I consider indispensable to the paperless tax office. One feature is the "SIgn Here" stamp, which can be applied to show as a green checkmark, added with Ctrl-K keystroke and a mouse click. My primary tax software (UT) also has a basic, configurable checkmark facility for each tax return field where data can be entered. You can set up your own protocol for marking when a data entry field has been single, double, or triple checked.

My original Acrobat v.9 software license was bundled with my Fujitsu ScanSnap a few years ago; I have since updated my license to v.11 at a reduced upgrade rate.

This is great advice. Do you have the pro version or just the normal adobe acrobat? I have the normal free version (that came with my computer.) I played around with it, and it can basically do this, although it's a little bit clunky.

CathysTaxes  
I used to use the free version, but when I purchased this computer, I got Acrobat Pro.
Cathy
CathysTaxes

makbo  
Adobe Reader is free to everyone, all the time. Adobe Acrobat Standard or Pro can either be licensed directly from Adobe for a fee or may come bundled with a scanner, for example. Adobe Reader to my knowledge has none of the features for marking up or editing documents (or maybe very limited ones) -- not suitable for a paperless practice. I have used both Acrobat Standard and Pro, and I also just double-checked at the Adobe web site, I can't find a single feature in the Pro version that would help for tax preparation compared to Standard -- either one should do just fine.

Not only do I use markup features all the time, but I also use the combine/convert files feature, for when a client sends me JPEG scans of documents.

I run PDFlyer from CCH which is an add on to Adobe Acrobat ( I currently run Adobe Acrobat 10 professional but have used 11 which just costs more and has a few nicer features). PDFlyer is for tax/accountant professionals and is by far the best add on one can use when going paperless. Would strongly suggest looking at this option - you will not be disappointed.

Callie  
I have my own CPA practice (exclusively tax). In addition to handling my client base, I now subcontract for other practitioners. I started doing this during 2014, and I couldn't be happier with the outcome.

I've found that subcontracting is the best way to expand my business and increase revenue. When I work for my own clients, there's substantial nonbillable time -- answering phone calls and emails, handling administrative tasks, serving as the e-filing ERO, preparing invoices, etc. When I subcontract, I simply do the work -- either preparing or reviewing -- and then tell the other CPA that I've finished. I quickly move along to the next project.

The CPAs who use my services are equally pleased. They have too much work during key times of the year, and it's nearly impossible to hire seasonal employees. Sharing the load with an independent contractor works well.

Next

Return to Business Operations and Development