free TaxAct Prof download

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
TaxAct just emailed me the link to download their professional version for a free trial. Has anyone taken advantage of this?
Any opinions on the TaxAct software?

I moved from Intuit Pro Connect this past season and have used TaxAct's consumer software for over a decade for my own return. I like it. It is forms-based so you do have to know what you are doing. The preparer edition has a resemblance to the consumer edition, which I wish it didn't, but that is just me being a professional snob, I suppose. I wish it were easier to print out supporting statements. For basic returns, that is no big deal, but for something like PTPs, it can be a pain.

Navigation is really good. That was the big downside of Pro Connect. I was unsure about using it on a laptop screen, but it works. I would love a larger screen, of course, but I could easily manage with the laptop, and probably will for a season or two more.

As with all tax prep software, it can add, subtract, multiply and divide.

TaxAct offer a client portal, which is basically DropBox in a secure environment. Some clients love it and others prefer the excitement of possibly having their personal information stolen whilst sending me information via email.

For the price, I think it is good value for money but, as with all software, it depends on your client mix.

ATSMAN  
Since tax season ended, I must get an e-mail or post card from many tax software publishers to try their software for free. Just yesterday I got a letter from Intuit.

If you are unhappy with your current tax prep software, this is the ideal time to try your live returns on any of these platforms and see if it works in your operation. Each software has it strength and weakness. I don't think there is a perfect software, but the best you can do is select the one that you like and works in your operation.

I responded to their advertisement and ended up purchasing the software. I am very happy with the software, support and the price. I would recommend it to small practitioners

Return to Business Operations and Development