Lacerte Cloud version

Key tips and advice the working tax pro can use.
COGS  
I never work from home, but I am wondering if I should plan for that and move to the Lacerte Cloud version. Has anyone used it? I have not seen a big discussion but maybe I missed something.

Is it the way of the future? I pay too much as it is. I don't want to pay more.

KoiCPA  
I don't have any experience with Lacerte, but in general my opinion is that you can achieve remote work better through your own mechanisms than to pay for it to be hosted in the cloud. For example, a VPN and Remote Desktop are very effective for accessing your work computer from anywhere in the world. A VPN could be free (though I use one that costs about $60/year) and Remote Desktop is free (the target computer needs Windows Pro at a cost of about $100 one time, but we all ought to be running that anyway for security purposes.)

Of course, I'm reasonably fluent with computers so my experience is not the same as everyone's. (In fact, when I got my new server and its DNS services conflicted with the VPN, I figured out the problem and reconfigured the server and the router while the "computer expert" doing the installation was still scratching his head.)

COGS  
Thank you for that! I will ask my computer folks.

There is no "cloud version" of Lacerte in that it might be accessed via a browser like many other software tools are available now.
However, you can have a virtual server and install Lacerte on that "desktop" instead of locally. That's my arrangement. You can do this through RightNetworks, who partners with Intuit for this offering or have a separate virtual server. Mine is separate, which provides me greater control, access, and flexibility in this regard. It is a little more expensive than RN, but well worth it IMO.
~Captcook

sjrcpa  
The closest thing to a cloud version of Lacerte is ProConnect Tax Online. (I think that's the current name. They keep changing it.) It is built on Lacerte but has far less bells and whistles.

Return to Tax Prep: Important tips and advice