Tax preparation Workflow solutions

Key tips and advice the working tax pro can use.
I just started with a financial planning firm that gets deep into tax prep and tax planning. Last season, their workflows/processes for tax prep where dated using the folder method and excel for tracking.

Any suggestions on software that can help with workflows? Specific tax prep workflow software or other solutions?

After a few quick searches, anyone have experience with Jetpack, File In Time, ATOM, Trello, SurePrep, OfficeTools, GruntWorx, XCM???
Last edited by ericleider on 2-Aug-2018 9:09am, edited 1 time in total.

A dated method isn't always worse than an automated method. Of course, if you wish to go virtual it's absolutely necessary to have a good, non-paper system.

What tax software do you use? If your tax software has an integrated practice management module, you should definitely look there first.

Agree, dated isn’t bad - but the firm is hoping to find a better tracking/management system so our team knows at all times where we are in the process.

We use Intuit Pro Connect, and have a small piece of our book still in Drake (slowly migrating to Pro Connect).

jesella  
We used ATOM when we were with Drake and liked it but really did our status tracking within Drake and used ATOM mainly for the portal function. We moved to Practice CS when we moved to UltraTax. We considered Trello and use it for some tracking on our accounting clients, but it felt like it would only work well with a small number of clients... it would've been too unwieldy for the 250 returns or so that we seem to have in process at any given time during tax season. We're implementing SurePrep now for processing, but we'll still be status tracking in Practice for now. I've found that despite the best effort in electronic tracking, we're still functioning best when there is also a paper folder traveling through the office. It may have nothing in it but the routing sheet on top, but it represents the file and helps us make sure nothing falls through the cracks.

We use Redtail CRM for our client database. I use the workflow feature in it to manage returns. It took me a while to set them up but once I did, now they work well. Maybe the CRM your firm uses has a similar feature?

Awesome on Redtail! We use Redtail for our CRM, but the firm has not embraced the workflow capabilities. However, that is one of the options I was thinking of. There are a lot of videos on Redtail support to learn how to effectively create and use the workflows.

A few questions for you:

- If you create a workflow where tasks are assigned to different users/roles/teams - how do you assign that workflow to a client; so that everyone knows who the workflow is for? (Maybe a dumb question)
- Is there a dashboard in Redtail to see what workflows/activities are in progress, completed, etc. - and for which client they are assigned for?

Thanks in advance!

Also ^^^ ...

- Does the client get notified on all of these tasks?
- And is there a way to assign tasks to a client? If not, what does your firm use to do that or keep track?

ericleider wrote:Awesome on Redtail! We use Redtail for our CRM, but the firm has not embraced the workflow capabilities. Same! I am still the only one setting up workflows but it is really a necessity to keep returns on track and to keep track of where they are. However, that is one of the options I was thinking of. There are a lot of videos on Redtail support to learn how to effectively create and use the workflows.

A few questions for you:

- If you create a workflow where tasks are assigned to different users/roles/teams - how do you assign that workflow to a client; so that everyone knows who the workflow is for? (Maybe a dumb question) One of the steps in creating the "New Workflow" is to choose a contact name. :D
- Is there a dashboard in Redtail to see what workflows/activities are in progress, completed, etc. - and for which client they are assigned for?Yes, if you are on the "Today" page, down the left side, the last choice is "Workflows". This shows all Workflows in progress.

Thanks in advance!

ericleider wrote:Also ^^^ ...

- Does the client get notified on all of these tasks? In my workflows they do not (which I wouldn't want anyway!). ;)
- And is there a way to assign tasks to a client? If not, what does your firm use to do that or keep track?Excellent question. I don't know if you can do that but maybe? I'd have to really dig to figure that out. We just use an Excel spreadsheet but I guess you could assign an Activty to the client within Redtail and mark it off when they have completed it. I'd be interested in knowing if you come up with a solution within Redtail.

KRHCO  

Return to Tax Prep: Important tips and advice