Go System Tax incompat issue w latest Acrobat Pro Dc

Key tips and advice the working tax pro can use.
Cloud subscription Acrobat DC Pro latest update broke something. You can no longer perform most editing functions on GST pdf's such as delete pages.

You can extract. You can print to a pdf. Then you can edit those which is a pita.

Go System Tax uses Itext ? pdf clone engine to create pdfs. (I thought there was a way to select using your own, but no one can find the global setting to change that)

Workaround for now in Adobe : View, Show, Navigation, select Tags.

In the left hand pane, delete the tags.

Then you can edit.

Question: what is an Adobe tag??

Worked w a competent Adobe tech the other day. He consulted w his colleagues also. Conclusion: this behavior where Acrobat DC Pro 2019 (continuous update) won't allow you to delete pages in pdfs that have "tags" is a feature not a bug. Prior versions of Adobe Acrobat ignored tags and let you delete pages etc.

Tags are meant to protect the structure of pdfs so that the accessibility (users w disabilities) functions properly.

A user can delete tags as I described, but unless the application creating the pdf (Go System Tax in this case) gives users an option to suppress tags, and has tag creation as the default, then users have to manually remove tags if they want to edit. Alternatively, print the pdf to a new pdf.

Tried a 3rd party tool that can remove properties from multiple pdfs, but even though it did remove something, Acrobat still saw tags.

Frankly  
a feature not a bug.

Daffynition of a "feature" - that which the programming hacks thunk up last week to justify their continued employment, and for which the marketing boys think they can charge a higher price and pad their bonus.

Acrobat has been crap since it went "DC". Completely botching basic usability and talking to the cloud constantly even if you're just doing basic viewing of a PDF. The default workspace is full of wasted space and hard to override (my sole remaining regedit).

what regedits have worked well for you with DC? in preferences turning off all security and anything having to do with cloud seems to speed up things, but not consistently.

Once a month I review dozens of PDFs one after another and need as much screen real estate as possible. Under DC there are those useless-to-me panels on the left and right that use just enough space to make text unreadable. Every doc would require something like open, right-click kill the useless panel. Oe of them is saved as a workspace setting but the other requires a regedit to disable - googling the name of the panel turned that up (I forget which is which). Adobe considers that a "feature" and I found a bunch of threads ranting about this same problem, when you have to review many PDFs.

What I find most annoying is that the application assumes we are all using Adobe's version of the cloud, when probably less than 5% of Acrobat users do. The "Share" button, how many people use that? I am still looking for a regedit to get rid of that because it turns one of the custom toolbar items I need into a drop-down - there isn't enough width to fit it alongside the useless Share button. On a few thousand document reviews per year.

The whole "Tools" tab is organized in a completely useless way but I'll never bother trying to figure that out, I just don't use it.

Acrobat is almost as destroyed-by-development as Quickbooks is, but that is setting a high bar! At some point I'll just switch to a different viewer but alternatives have always lacked something.

I'd have switched from Acrobat but all my add-ins require Acrobat. Particularly like the Evermap add-ins.

Return to Tax Prep: Important tips and advice