Efile contains info about fields you override

Key tips and advice the working tax pro can use.
makbo  
I don't know if this is new or not.

My software (UT) provides the ability to view the efile datafile (XML format) that is transmitted to the IRS. (XML, or extended markup language, is an industry standard format used to exchange data that is going to end up in a database somewhere, it kind of looks like HTML used for web pages, if that helps anyone).

I have one client who likes for partner's K-1 to show the Sec 754 specially allocated depreciation in Box 13, even when I need to choose the option in my software which does not report it there. So, I override the form input, and have done so routinely every year.

But for the first time (that I remember) I noticed this in the efile:

Code: Select all
<!-- Override in client SXXXX: Overridden field with data "W" on Form / Schedule K1 (Ext 245, Ref 563) -->
<!-- Override in client SXXXX: Overridden field with data "2,000" on Form / Schedule K1 (Ext 245, Ref 518) -->

It's in the comments section, but it does indicate that the IRS potentially gets a lot of info in the efile that you might not realize is there -- including, as discussed in this forum previously, the amount of time you spend working in the return, your IP address and computer ID, and other goodies.

Interesting that it is not encrypted. Or maybe it is stored that way and only decrypted for viewing when you ask for it?
Because on T.A. ten was the most you were allowed

makbo  
Tenletters wrote:Interesting that it is not encrypted. Or maybe it is stored that way and only decrypted for viewing when you ask for it?

The latter, I'm sure. UltraTax went through the upgrade of encrypting all locally stored data files a few years ago, as I recall. I have to meet all the normal login requirements to work on a return before I can see the efile transmission.

Return to Tax Prep: Important tips and advice