"partnership representative" SSN etc.

Key tips and advice the working tax pro can use.
LW25  
The 2018 instruction book for Form 1065, as promulgated in February 2019, includes a statement that the full tax ID number of the "partnership representative" (whether it be a social security number or an employer ID number) and, where applicable, the full social security number of the "designated individual," must be shown on the Form 1065 return filed with the IRS.

However, I just happened to look at the instruction book on the IRS web site again, and I see that there is a new page in the PDF -- inserted as the first page of the file. The IRS now says that the full tax ID numbers are no longer required to be shown on the return filed with the IRS. Instead, the numbers may be shown as "000-00-0000" and "00-0000000", as applicable.

I don't know when this change came about. I do know that some of our clients' partnership representatives had expressed concern about having to put their Social Security numbers on the form.

Note: The IRS update also says that a PTIN or CAF number cannot be used to identify a partnership representative or designated individual.

LW25 wrote:Note: The IRS update also says that a PTIN or CAF number cannot be used to identify a partnership representative or designated individual.

No one in their right mind should be a PR for a partnership in which they aren't a part of ownership, save the instance they are employed as professional management of a large entity. An outside, independent professional should not be in this role. I wonder if E&O policy questionnaires will have a box this year "Do you serve as a Partnership Representative for any entity as an independent professional and not as an owner?"
~Captcook

makbo  
If an election is made out of CPAR, the "partnership representative" designation is not required, to my knowledge. Doesn't address the exact topic, but all of the partnerships I prepare have made this election so far, so I have not had to deal with it.

LW25  
makbo wrote:If an election is made out of CPAR, the "partnership representative" designation is not required, to my knowledge.

Correct.

Doesn't address the exact topic, but all of the partnerships I prepare have made this election so far, so I have not had to deal with it.

I have quite a few that cannot make the election.

Return to Tax Prep: Important tips and advice