Proseries bug - Coronavirus distributions and Sch E loss

Key tips and advice the working tax pro can use.
Riki_EA  
The 2020 Coronavirus checkbox on the Form 1099-R and the Form 8915E are now working in Proseries. To check it out, I opened a sample tax return that we use for training. Because the checkbox/8915E were not working when we originally set up this tax return, we had hand entered the correct distribution amounts in the 1099-R forms. When I switched it putting in the full amounts, using the Coronavirus checkbox (on 1099-R) and the Form 8915E, it calculated correctly the taxable amounts of the 1099-Rs. But, the refund had gone down... it should have stayed the same.

The change was the amount of rental property loss that was being allowed for our fictional client. Poking deeper, I found that the Modified Adjusted Gross Income Worksheet for Form 8582 Line 7 had an incorrect amount for taxable IRA distributions. It property took the Taxpayer's taxable IRA as calculated by the 8915E, but put the full amount of the spouse's distribution.

Definitely a bug. Switching my two 1099-R's by switching T and S indicators changed the refund down yet again, and the Adjusted Gross Income Worksheet showed that it is adding the proper taxable IRA distribution amount for the Taxpayer but adding the full IRA distribution amount for the Spouse.

For the time being, you can override the Taxable IRA distributions box, and that solves the problem.

For 1099-Rs that are not IRAs, it is computing the MAGI correctly.

Does anyone know how to report bugs directly to Proseries?

Drake had the same issue. It was fixed a couple of days later. Reading this makes me curious about other software companies. I wonder how many are having issues around the 8915-E
Because on T.A. ten was the most you were allowed

Riki_EA  
I was able to get a message through to Intuit Proseries, so hopefully it will be fixed soon.

Riki_EA  
As of a couple a days ago, the bug was fixed in Proseries.

Return to Tax Prep: Important tips and advice