Forum wants and desires - Patience though ;-)

How to use the discussion board. Post usage questions here.
CaptCook wrote:I was going to post this elsewhere, but I feel it is probably most appropriate here.

We seem to be having certain discussions over and over...SEHI, as an example. On a recent question, I thought to do a very quick search on TPT and I got the full applicable answer on the third post down. A similar search on Google of the same search term got me two applicable links in the first four.

For this forum to be most valuable, people need to be asking for help and assistance. I think some people have the approach of posting their situation without the least modicum of solving the problem themselves. The board gets filled up with meaningless drivel in addition to making searches really awkward to get to the meaty discussions of that same issue.

My suggestion: Can we add a question to the New Topic screen..."Have you already researched this site for an answer to your question?"

Hey Chris,
I feel like we've fully stumbled back to this spot where people aren't doing much in the way of their own research before posting a question. I realize this is the busiest time of year for all of us and I have no idea what adding a "Have you researched this question before posting?" might require, but I wanted to throw this out there again while it was on my mind.
Hope all is well with you!
~Captcook

chris  
Thanks Capt and yes it's a very valid point (it was then and it is now). I still think putting the statement in the profile at registration will be less effective. Maybe I can modify the editor template and put a highlighted statement up top in bold. That way I get their attention right when they are composing that first post.

I will add to my list of things to look at but it will definitely be after tax season...
Site admin and software developer for TaxProTalk.com and https://TheSiteFactory.com

chris wrote:Maybe I can modify the editor template and put a highlighted statement up top in bold. That way I get their attention right when they are composing that first post.

yeah, I think that would be ideal.

chris wrote:I will add to my list of things to look at but it will definitely be after tax season...

thanks!
~Captcook

dsocpa  
While I understand the concern over duplication on the flip side there are some threads that get unweildy after awhile and at some point diverage off topic. And sometimes the topic just isn’t the right fit and/or the attempt at a response to an older thread is ignored (had this happen several times). Granted the reason can be a poorly worded subject; of course everyone could just be busy... I was once told my subject was a repeat (bad debt). And this was partly true, however, the subject had been discussed at length regarding shareholder’s and not employee’s with no ownership connection. Not sure where the happy middle ground is except a faq section maybe? Chris, I understand you are busy and this can all wait until after busy season. Just wanted to contribute my two cents for what it’s worth.

makbo  
I would like the ability to use a different, temporary username from time to time. Maybe allow a change once per month. Here are a few I am contemplating:

"
B!tch Pudding
Toast-TEE-Toes
Uriah Heep
Razzamatazz
Nematode
Fatty Arbuckle
"

Previous

Return to Forum Usage Q&A