moderators

How to use the discussion board. Post usage questions here.
philly  
Chris what do the moderators do? Do they review all posts ?

makbo  
One thing I'm sure they don't do, is get paid, so I don't mind stepping in to try to answer.

No, I'm pretty sure moderators do not review all posts (how could they, when your post goes live immediately?)

1. They screen new users, to approve the initial post and try to make sure only tax pros are allowed.
  2. They review posts that are reported via the little upside-triangle-with-exclamation icon. Such reviews may or may not lead to suspension of the user if gross violation of site guidelines.
  3. They used to try to split up threads that were covering too many different topics, but haven't seen that much lately (nor the need). Or move a thread to the proper forum.
  4. They can fix typos in thread subject lines.

Beyond that, I think they're just like the rest of us -- you know, hard-working Americans making the country great again!

chris  
makbo has it right. #2 is not a given; I try to deal with reported posts since that might turn into a little more than I could reasonably expect one of our (much appreciated!) volunteer moderators to have to deal with.
Site admin and software developer for TaxProTalk.com and https://TheSiteFactory.com

makbo  
Chris, I know how humble you are ;) (actually, I don't) -- but this is once again a good time to mention what a great job you've done with this forum.

For the historical record, one of the main things that brought down the revered Tax Almanac forum (hosted by Intuit, and precursor to this forum) was the huge amount of spam postings. Most users didn't see the spam directly, but the computer processing time needed to filter out the spam was overwhelming any reasonable response time, the forum bogged down too much and the volunteers eventually gave up fixing the problem by hand.

chris  
thanks makbo :-)
Site admin and software developer for TaxProTalk.com and https://TheSiteFactory.com

CathysTaxes  
makbo wrote:One thing I'm sure they don't do, is get paid, so I don't mind stepping in to try to answer.

No, I'm pretty sure moderators do not review all posts (how could they, when your post goes live immediately?)

Beyond that, I think they're just like the rest of us -- you know, hard-working Americans making the country great again!

Makbo, you mean I can't expect to receive the truckload of chocolate? :lol:
Cathy
CathysTaxes

Return to Forum Usage Q&A