TaxProTalk server time is off over 20 minutes

How to use the discussion board. Post usage questions here.
makbo  
At the main screen right now, it shows:

It is currently 1-Jun-2018 6:10pm

But according to several other local sources I have (including some not connected to the internet), it is only about 5:47 PM (I have the correct time zone and DST setting).

Somebody's clock is not being synced properly, I think.

makbo  
Or maybe I had a stale screen shot -- but how could that possibly show a time in the future?

I double checked my settings, I have PST zone and "using DST" both selected. So even if the clock is not off, the display of the local time zone is off. That might explain why I saw a future time displayed on the main screen.

chris  
The server is located in central time zone so if you are in Pacific time zone and not logged in, it will show you a time that is ahead of your local time. Once logged in, if you have your profile settings indicating your correct time zone - it will match. Maybe that main screen page was cached or not refreshed when you saw the difference. It looks okay to me.
Site admin and software developer for TaxProTalk.com and https://TheSiteFactory.com

makbo  
OK, thank you for checking. I know from personal experience, server time is one of those things everyone takes for granted, until something goes wrong. There is an complex infrastructure of time servers on the internet that many are unaware of.

I just noticed it's an hour off. I'm assuming that's due to daylight savings time. I'm in the eastern time zone and my preferences are set to eastern time. Is there a way for the board to acknowledge daylight savings time?
Dave

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. ~ Mark Skousen

chris  
I wish it would automatically switch, but as of right now the only thing it provides is a manual setting, here:

user control panel->board preferences->edit global settings

you can switch DST on or off.
Site admin and software developer for TaxProTalk.com and https://TheSiteFactory.com

Return to Forum Usage Q&A