Logged in to view posts

How to use the discussion board. Post usage questions here.
SurfTX  
I've been part of other forums/message boards in the past where you had to be logged-in in order to view posts. Has that been considered for here? Not sure how people would feel about it. My thought is that most users are logged-in anyway. It would help keep non-members from browsing the threads and help keep certain info a little more private (like discussing an ongoing issue or audit).

Just a suggestion. Curious to hear what others think

Frankly  
A closed site would mean no new members. Not sure how many folks would join a forum if they couldn't look at it first.

Scogden  
There is the "penalty free zone" that is only visible to members who are logged in. I guess if you wanted to make a sensitive post, you could put it there.

I would imagine this is where the Dear Client threads should be posted.

I do believe most of us are wise enough to not post critical or improper items in the areas that aren't visible.

SurfTX wrote:I've been part of other forums/message boards in the past where you had to be logged-in in order to view posts. Has that been considered for here? Not sure how people would feel about it. My thought is that most users are logged-in anyway. It would help keep non-members from browsing the threads and help keep certain info a little more private (like discussing an ongoing issue or audit).Just a suggestion. Curious to hear what others think

Frankly wrote:A closed site would mean no new members. Not sure how many folks would join a forum if they couldn't look at it first.

I "browsed" Tax Almanac for years without ever being a member.

I agree with Frankly, I believe that closing the site would discourage new members.

I completely understand your concern regarding discussing what could be confidential information on a open forum however I would still have those concerns even if the information was discussed in a "private" or more restricted thread or forum setting.

SurfTX  
Good feedback. I agree about confidential information - whether the forum is private or not.

Return to Forum Usage Q&A