Will we have Tapatalk?

How to use the discussion board. Post usage questions here.
Coddington  
I use Tapatalk for several other forums. Will you be enabling it for this forum?
-Brian

Director of Tax Accounting Methods & Credits
SourceAdvisors.com

Opinions my own.

chris  
Good question. I looked at it awhile ago for the autobody forum I run and wasn't really thrilled with the way it works.

I need to see if I can find a good mobile theme for this board that I can start with as a base and modify as needed. I just think it's better when a site is mobile-ready by having a fluid design rather than rely on an app to act as a gearbox.

Either way, yes I would really like to make the site friendly to mobile devices and tablets.
Site admin and software developer for TaxProTalk.com and https://TheSiteFactory.com

Coddington  
Just my $0.02, but I don't read any forums (that don't have their own dedicated apps like Reddit) on my phone unless they have Tapatalk or the Invision app enabled. From a user's perspective, having a single, consistent mobile interface across forums that permits easy switching is very desirable. Especially when I don't get logged out when I shut down the browser (as can happen in Safari). This is why I don't use Tax Almanac as often as I could, lack of a good mobile interface.
-Brian

Director of Tax Accounting Methods & Credits
SourceAdvisors.com

Opinions my own.

chris  
ok, fair point. Let me look at enabling it and we can see how it goes.

I do want to work on the css for the theme here to see if I can get it to be fluid and self-formatting on phones. Then we'd have both; a site that plays nicely on mobile devices and the tapatalk app specifically for reading forums...

If you want to see an example of what I'm talking about, go to my autobody101.com site on your phone...then on your desktop; same site but two vastly different presentations (I do not have the forum at that point yet...only the retail store).
Site admin and software developer for TaxProTalk.com and https://TheSiteFactory.com

chris  
I installed tapatalk on the mirrored test instance of this site. I'm a little nervous about it. It touches a lot of code and my reading on the support forums indicates that it can potentially open up some backdoors for spammers/hackers to get in. Until I test it some more I don't want to put it into production.

I am also looking at dialing in a mobile theme, which will automatically activate when a user is on a smart phone. I'm hoping it would be a good enough alternative to tapatalk if I can't get cozy with the potential security exposure from some of their PHP code modules...

Return to Forum Usage Q&A