View more than topic word/words

How to use the discussion board. Post usage questions here.
RuthC  
Would there be a way when moving the mouse over each unread topic we could see the beginning of the question to get an idea on what it is about? There are so many unread tax questions right now that if I could just see a portion of the question, I would be more able to tell if I need/want to read it. It takes so much time to go into each question and find I don't need to check each one. I am able to do this on another tax forum and find it very helpful.

makbo  
I am familiar with the feature you mention, it's like a pop-up tool tip in Windows when you hover your mouse over a link. Site creator Chris will have to reply with the technical answer.

I'd like to suggest that if folks would use meaningful thread topics, it would go a long way to help. Threads titled like "have you seen this?" or "What should I do?" would die a quick death, if it were up to me.

RuthC  
Thanks Makbo. You described it better than I did.

chris  
Fantastic idea - thanks for the input! I know I can write the code that does this; it's just a matter of time. I'm stacked up with clients right now and still plugging away at my website factory project -- but this idea is 100% going on the list for me to do.
Site admin and software developer for TaxProTalk.com and https://TheSiteFactory.com

RuthC  
Thanks a lot Chris. I wanted to bring up the suggestion a while ago, but I knew you must be so busy right now. After reading the post in the Penalty-Free Zone about posting to that area in order to wait until after tax season to read some posts, I figured this would be a good time to bring it up. Happy to see you think it's a good idea too. I'll be looking for it to happen in the future.Thanks again. You're really doing such a great job with this forum site. I am surely one that appreciates it!!! Great job....

RuthC  
Hi Chris,
I know this is tax season, but I figured I would ask if you have any idea when this suggestion would be a reality? The more I try to read every tax post, I get frustrated, especially during this tax season, to figure out what each new post is about without actually going into it, especially when someone doesn't have subject listed.
No matter what, you are still the "greatest" for setting this whole forum up by yourself. Thanks a lot!!

chris  
Thanks for the kind words and support, Ruth - yes I still want to do this unfortunately it kept slipping on my priority list of work items. Also, when I did initially look into this, I found that the required pull from the back-end database to harvest the first set of words from the initial topic post, was somewhat more complex (and burdensome on the server) than I had hoped. I may have to limit the number of topics that are listed on a page to fewer than the setting of 50 we have right now.

Longer term we may end up switching to a completely different forum software; I'm investigating that as well. But for now this suggestion is still alive but it's going to be at best a summer 2017 item for me to dig into again. At that time I'll be able to report back if it is going to happen or if it'll need to be coincident with switching to a new platform.
Site admin and software developer for TaxProTalk.com and https://TheSiteFactory.com

RuthC  
Chris, thanks a lot for your prompt response. I know you must be swamped with work. We'll see what happens then.

makbo  
RuthC wrote: The more I try to read every tax post, I get frustrated, especially during this tax season, to figure out what each new post is about without actually going into it, especially when someone doesn't have subject listed.

I've had a functional addiction to various internet discussion forums for several decades, but even I don't feel the need to read every post. Especially if you don't plan to reply very often in a thread, what's the point? They can't all be relevant to you and your practice.

I've actually found that subject lines here lately seem to be fairly accurate as a guide for what might be of interest before opening. Sure, in Penalty Free Zone people are free to use "teaser" subjects that are complete opaque, but in the technical forums, I think the best solution is for the contributors here, all professionals, to just have at least a tiny bit of discipline when it comes to describing their initial post accurately, making sure a few keywords are included. This also helps a lot when searching for older topics. When composing your topic, just ask yourself, "what terms would I use if I were searching for this?"

I usually use the "view unread posts" search by default (it's on my bookmarks quick access menu bar), and after a few days, when I've accumulated a long list of threads that I don't need to read, I just "mark all forums read", then I can start again just looking at the newest posts I haven't yet seen.

chris  
I wonder if something like I did at autobody101.com would be helpful. If you go to http://www.autobody101.com/forums/ you'll see a "recent activity" widget I coded -- which is a carousel of recent posts. When you hover over, it both halts the carousel and it gives a fly-out of the first couple of sentences of the post.

Check out the guy converting a Chevy Malibu to an Aston Martin. :shock:

Anyway, I'd have to think it through a little because (a) I want to keep TPT simple and efficient and (b) autobody101.com is badly in need of a re-design to make it mobile friendly. That carousel is not mobile friendly.

RuthC  
Makbo, I don't need to (and don't) read every post either. However, I read many posts during tax season. During the off tax season, when I have more time, I do read even more posts just to learn different areas of taxes even though I don't plan on replying to a thread. That is my point. I can't tell you how much I have learned from this forum even though I don't reply to many posts.

Chris, I did view your link to the autobody forum and found that is very helpful and is exactly what I was looking for. Of course, I have no problem with opening the post to read. So although I would like to see a change, I fully understand you have more important things on your plate. Thanks for your response.

makbo  
RuthC wrote: That is my point.

I thought your point was what you said originally:

"I get frustrated, especially during this tax season, to figure out what each new post is about without actually going into it, especially when someone doesn't have subject listed."

RuthC  
Hey Chris,
I thought I would open this discussion again since it has been 3 years since I asked. Yep, time goes by fast when you're having fun (lol)! You thought it was a good idea back then. Has it gone up the "to do list" yet? I'm sure this isn't a good time to be asking with taxes and everything else, bus it just came to my mind again after looking at all the tax question titles again.

chris  
Hi Ruth; yes it's definitely a good idea...but unfortunately I had so much going on over the last couple of years I've had little time to look at things like this, for this website. I don't see it clearing up anytime soon...but these ideas are captured for if/when I do get a breather.

RuthC  
I can imagine you working 24/7. I fully understand. Thanks for your response!

Return to Forum Usage Q&A