Tagging Other Posters

How to use the discussion board. Post usage questions here.
Coddington  
It would really be useful if we could tag other users in our posts, like on Reddit and Facebook. Posters known for specific expertise in an area could be alerted to threads that would benefit from their views.
-Brian

Director of Tax Accounting Methods & Credits
SourceAdvisors.com

Opinions my own.

chris  
So, in a thread you'd do something like @coddington and then what? -- next time you log in there's an alert waiting for you, and optionally you may also get an email?

The current software here doesn't have that feature...it would be a pretty significant programming project to add that but I will add it to the list to look into.
Site admin and software developer for TaxProTalk.com and https://TheSiteFactory.com

Frankly  
In the evil FB, members of a group "tag" another member by typing a response to a post with nothing but the tag-ees name. Ex. "Hey CHRIS, lookee here. " The intended target gets an e-mail; those following the topic get an e-mail about the new post; every member of the group gets notice there is new activity in the group. It's annoying as hell.

You could immensely improve upon the idea by turning the "tag" action into a PM aimed solely at the target and not making it a public post.

makbo  
I agree with the idea that a PM serves the purpose.

chris  
Maybe there's a gentler way to do it, without emails going out...like a little notification icon at the top of the screen that you click on to see where you've been tagged recently. Regardless, any of this means writing new code inside the core of this board software. Not impossible but not an easy lay-up, either.
Site admin and software developer for TaxProTalk.com and https://TheSiteFactory.com

Coddington  
A PM can serve the same purpose, but it is not as convenient to the originating poster, especially if you want to tag multiple posters. I realize it would be a difficult project (since other forums do not have it), but I thought I should mention it now.
-Brian

Director of Tax Accounting Methods & Credits
SourceAdvisors.com

Opinions my own.

Return to Forum Usage Q&A