Posting to TaxProTalk & receiving posts without visiting it

How to use the discussion board. Post usage questions here.
Two thing I really like about yahoogroups that I hope TaxProTalk will have. I can post to a yahoogroup from e-mail clients like Outlook and from online e-mail accounts like gmail without having to log into a yahoogroup. I also like that all posts are sent to me, just just the ones I subscribe to. Consequently, I don't have to log into the forums. So I can monitor all posts to all forums from an e-mail client or online e-mail account.
Larry Hess, CPA | Albuquerque, NM | www.LarryHesscpa.com

Frankly  
I believe the yahoo method requires that one receive an e-mail for each post to the forum.

That's what I like.

Wiles  
Larry, You can get an indication of a new post sent to you by e-mail from this site. Click on the "Subscribe topic" link at the bottom of the thread. Perhaps you already know this.
Last edited by Wiles on 25-Apr-2014 2:28pm, edited 1 time in total.

I want all posts, not just specific topics.

chris  
When looking at the forum overview (i.e. the screen that shows all the threads in a forum), there is a "subscribe forum" link at the bottom of the screen. I have actually never tried it, but I believe it will send you every new post made within that forum.

On the post-via-email idea, it's a good idea. The base product here does not have that feature, but it could be coded. I will add it to the pipeline but don't expect to see it anytime soon. Starting a topic via email would be a bit more complex. Both of these ideas have security implications as well, which I would want to make sure are handled.
Site admin and software developer for TaxProTalk.com and https://TheSiteFactory.com

thanks, Chris. I have selected that option.

I am getting Forum post notifications but not individual posts.

chris  
Hmmm. I'll have to look into it, Larry.

One thing it might be related to is sheer email volume. Unless properly registered with the relay servers, a site can become flagged as a potential spam source...which means outgoing mail gets blocked. So phpbb may have just erred on the side of caution with that feature.
Site admin and software developer for TaxProTalk.com and https://TheSiteFactory.com

I really dislike systems that conflate e-mail with forums/bboards. It's one of the reasons I stopped researching GNUCash (a free competitor to QuickBooks), though they go to the archaic extreme of using mailing lists instead of a real bboard. While I'm sure there are cases where it works well, personally I think it's a bad idea to create a system where we can't assume that everyone in the discussion has easy access to all previous posts (even good spam filters sometimes produce false positives, not to mention inadvertent deletions. Or to put it in a way other people here may appreciate, there is no yellow box in the e-mail client.

Technically, I wonder how one would authenticate post-by-email? I've never given the problem much thought, but I'd want something stronger than just checking the (easily spoofed) From: address.

chris  
post-by-email would have to be as a reply from a system generated email (like notification of a new topic or new post) - which would contain an embedded key within the reply, to match up with the key on the receiving end. I still don't like it though because it's an easy target for a man in the middle type of intercept.

yahoogroups handles this by having users register in their group profile the email addresess from which they will post.

Return to Forum Usage Q&A