2020 return nowhere to be found

Technical topics regarding tax preparation.
JoJoCPA  
Just got a call from someone who says she filed her 2020 return on paper and is owed a substantial refund. She’s trying to buy a house and the mortgage company cannot verify that she filed her 2020 return and she can’t get answers from the IRS. I haven’t heard about the backlog lately. Should she file it again? Paper or electronically? She said she had to file it by paper because it was the first time she was using TurboTax and they required her to file on paper. Not sure what she’s talking about. Never heard of that.

sjrcpa  
https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-operat ... s-continue
"As of November 11, 2022, we had 3.7 million unprocessed individual returns received this year." It doesn't say anything about returns received in 2021.

What is the status of the return per the IRS website?

I don't think you should advise someone who isn't a client. Unless I'm misinterpreting your post that is...

JoJoCPA  
She’s asking me for help, presumably for a fee, thus would be a client. The IRS site says nothing has been received.

I vaguely recall an IRS news release that updated on the backlog and stated that if you filed by such and such date but that your return has not yet been processed you should re-file.

Sorry can't remember specifics. You might see if you can do an internet search and/or search the IRS website to find it.

JoJoCPA wrote:She’s asking me for help, presumably for a fee, thus would be a client.

In my experience not all prospects presume help will be for a fee. :) Get a retainer.

JoJoCPA  
I know. Not my first rodeo. I vaguely remember seeing that too. If she paper files again, it will take forever again though, no?I could re-prepare it for her (for my or al fee) and efile it. The mortgage company should be able to see it quickly.

JoJoCPA  
“If you are due a refund, filed on paper more than six months ago, and Where’s My Refund? does not indicate we received your return, you should resubmit your tax return, electronically if possible.”

Just found this on the IRS website.

sjrcpa  
JoJoCPA wrote:The mortgage company should be able to see it quickly.

Probably not. There is a lag between when an efiled return is accepted and when it appears in the "other" database.
If she's due to close pretty soon (which is probably why she called), she's SOL.

TaxDude  
You can prepare the tax return, then she can walk it in to a local IRS office and ask for proof of filing. They will stamp a copy of the first page with the filing date. That should satisfy the mortgage company and it gets the tax return processed.

What she describes is common. If you file again you could produce issues and more delays.
This is a common message and shown even when they deposited payments.

“ Your 2021 Tax Return Is Not Processed
The due date has passed. If you've already filed, processing usually takes 21 days (electronic returns) or six weeks (paper returns).
If you still need to file, submit your tax return along with any payment due as soon as possible to minimize potential penalties and interest. If you’ve been affected by a recent disaster, learn about the most recent tax relief provisions (https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-bu ... businesses)
to know your options.”

A fraud safe pin required and not having one is one reason that causes paper file. Intuit may have placed no efile on previous year return as well (Inuit limitation)..

I’ve seen a 2020 paper return that processing has not been completed as well.

Nilodop  
What do the indigenous people of northern Canada and parts of Greenland and Alaska have to do with this post? And what is their limitation? (Come on, folks, indulge an old guy once in a while.)

Well, in the case of Greenland (and northern Canada) they are not US persons so their limitation is not having to file. I gather someone wasn’t very artful in closing the deal a few years ago.

Get payment from her, have her sign Form 2848, and pull the transcript. Go from there.

Return to Taxation