How long will wrong deposit info delay refund check?

Technical topics regarding tax preparation.
Taxpayer closed bank account previously used and now a refund check will be issued instead of direct deposit. Anyone have any experience as far as how long taxpayer may need to wait now to receive check? Thanks!

mscash  
The refund will have to be returned to IRS which will issue a paper check. Count on six to eight weeks.

Oh wow thats rough

taxea  
wkstaxprep wrote:Taxpayer closed bank account previously used and now a refund check will be issued instead of direct deposit. Anyone have any experience as far as how long taxpayer may need to wait now to receive check? Thanks!

Banks don't always send the check back. TP should contact bank to determine whether it was put into an escrow account. File a request for refund with statement of explanation. IRS will trace the payment. When the funds are returned they will issue a check.

CathysTaxes  
taxea wrote:
wkstaxprep wrote:Taxpayer closed bank account previously used and now a refund check will be issued instead of direct deposit. Anyone have any experience as far as how long taxpayer may need to wait now to receive check? Thanks!

Banks don't always send the check back. TP should contact bank to determine whether it was put into an escrow account. File a request for refund with statement of explanation. IRS will trace the payment. When the funds are returned they will issue a check.

When this happened to my clients, the direct deposit was rejected and a check issued. It took several weeks. Now I don't efile until the client actually signs off on a document that lists the routing and account number.
Cathy
CathysTaxes

taxea  
I give my clients a worksheet every year that requires them to fill out their current information including the bank numbers if they want a direct deposit or payment.

Jake  
That happened to a long time client a couple years ago - it was my fault. She provided me with a blank check on her new account and I misread the number. The refund was about $1,400. She really needed the refund. I wrote her a check for that and she repaid me when she got her refund.

Return to Taxation