Government employees

Technical topics regarding tax preparation.
Today a new client came in. He works for the Federal government and received a W-2. He heard there are special tax benefits for government employees on their job expenses. He seems to think that the travels between his home and his main office, which are usually non-deductible commune mileages, are deductible to the government employees. Has anyone heard of that before?

Nilodop  
He's a government employee, so he must know. Just trust him. :roll:

"...which are usually non-deductible commune mileages...."

Last time I lived in a commune, my mileage to and from work might as well have been deductible. I didn't have a job *and* I didn't have a car. :D :o :D

I think it is safe to say he is mistaken.

CrowCPA  
And if he persists with this, beware. I would tell a person like that to look for someone else for answers that he likes. He is likely to be troublesome.

Taxissues wrote:Today a new client came in. He works for the Federal government and received a W-2. He heard there are special tax benefits for government employees on their job expenses. He seems to think that the travels between his home and his main office, which are usually non-deductible commune mileages, are deductible to the government employees. Has anyone heard of that before?

They make for terrible clients. Free health insurance, pensions, don’t work very hard and wait til he asks for his government discount.

mscash  
The special rule is that if he has valid out of pocket expenses he files a travel voucher and gets reimbursed. The tax return preparer does not get involved.

mscash wrote:The special rule is that if he has valid out of pocket expenses he files a travel voucher and gets reimbursed. The tax return preparer does not get involved.

Would it be the same as in the private industry when the company has an accountable plan for employee expenses reimbursement?

But what he talked about are tax benefits that only government employees can enjoy while they are not available to employees in the private industry at all.

taxea  
Taxissues wrote:Today a new client came in. He works for the Federal government and received a W-2. He heard there are special tax benefits for government employees on their job expenses. He seems to think that the travels between his home and his main office, which are usually non-deductible commune mileages, are deductible to the government employees. Has anyone heard of that before?

The only special rule I know of if they hold a certain job in the government and don't pay their taxes they can be fired.

Nilodop  
Maybe he is part of the deep state.

Return to Taxation