Amending question

Technical topics regarding tax preparation.
I need to amend a return to change a passive capital loss to a regular capital loss. It will result in an additional refund of $4000 or so.

As a result of the change, other passive losses are released, etc. A rather complicated chain of events to get to the new result. I am tempted to just explain the change of this capital loss, and let it go at that, and see if the IRS will accept it. If they want more explanation, I can give it to them later. Or should I try to compile a very time consuming explanation now.

And comments or suggestions?

EADave  
I would, at a minimum, include the 8582 and if it is a return like I just Amended where an omitted K1 producing a passive loss offset existing passive gains, you will want to include the software’s worksheets that reflect a roadmap of what happened.

I will admit, this is the toughest area of tax law to explain to IRS (other than overpayment of RRTier 1 and SS from two different jobs).

Always overshare with an amended return to avoid the dreaded response, “we require more information for your claim regarding line XYZ...”

Return to Taxation