Trust name under EIN is incorrect

Technical topics regarding tax preparation.
I have a trust that was a living revocable trust until the grantor passed away in 2016. The trustee applied for an EIN number for both the estate and the trust. The EIN was issued with the incorrect year in the trust name (ex: "John Doe Trust dtd 5-15-1994" but should have been 1999). The trustee is having issues with one of the investment brokers in recognizing her as the trustee in order to distribute the funds in these accounts to the beneficiaries (the mistake was previously compounded by the trust account being opening with the wrong year in the name as well).

No 1041 has been filed under the trust EIN but a 1041 was filed under the estate EIN with form 8855 (which showed the incorrect trust year).

It looks like my best option is to write a letter since I can request confirmation from the IRS that the change was made that the trustee can then use with the investment brokers but I can't find the exact address to mail this letter to.

Thoughts?

philly  
I would write the letter to the EIN Operation
center as follows:
Internal Revenue Service
Attn: EIN Operation
Cincinnati, OH 45999
Fax: (855) 641-6935

You can always give them a call at -1800-829-4933

Dennis2  
Odd and unfortunate. IRS is not going to be much help. Are you saying the broker didn't ask for a copy of the trust document and someone other than the current Trustee opened the account?

Return to Taxation