GA POA

Technical topics regarding tax preparation.
Client (H&W) has a GA filing requirement but resides abroad most of the year. We are in the midst of resolving an issue with the IRS for 2016, so it is possible that GA will get information from IRS that will require a response. We have obtained GA POA from clients. My employer, a CPA, and I (a non-owner EA) are on it. If we set up a GTC account, do we do so as a firm or do we each have an individual account?

Neither I nor my employer (as far as I am aware) have a GA filing requirement.

If you're registering as a third party filer you'd register the business (your firm).

Often times with the GTC portal its easier to just have the client register and pass along the username and password to you.

Thanks for that. Involving this client in anything technological is a non-starter.

So if I understand you correctly, we will have a firm account and, presumably, one log-in, even though we are both on the PoA? Which would mean my employer being alerted to notices etc, rather than me.

SumwunLost wrote:So if I understand you correctly, we will have a firm account and, presumably, one log-in, even though we are both on the PoA? Which would mean my employer being alerted to notices etc, rather than me.

That's correct, you'd register the firm and have one login.

If I'm following you correctly, I don't think registering for the GTC is going to supersede or invalidate your POA. You'll still get notices. The GTC is just to efile certain forms online and access client data. You may want to call the GA DOR and confirm that though.

makbo  
ManVsTax wrote:Often times with the GTC portal its easier to just have the client register and pass along the username and password to you.

That's a horrible idea. Passwords should never be shared.

ManvsTax, we haven't filed the PoA yet. We were rather hoping that doing so online would mean that we would get any correspondence GA sends, which would be helpful if it gets sent whilst the clients are abroad.

I would just call the GA DOR tomorrow morning and ask. They're usually friendly.

Return to Taxation