interest expense on vacation rental

Technical topics regarding tax preparation.
Udfleet  
Is it true that if I don't qualify to Schedule A itemize, then I can't deduct interest expense on the Schedule E, for the same property, when used for business purposes?

makbo  
Udfleet wrote:Is it true that if I don't qualify to Schedule A itemize, then I can't deduct interest expense on the Schedule E, for the same property, when used for business purposes?

Not clear what you are asking. First, how could you "not qualify" to itemize on Schedule A? I believe any taxpayer can elect to itemize, even if the deduction is lower than the standard deduction.

Second when you say same property used for business, do you mean a property that concurrently has both business and personal use, or a property that was converted from one to the other?

lucyko  
Perhaps poster means it's not beneficial to itemize because the standard deduction exceeds the total itemized deduction .

If that is the case the answer to the question is no that is not true .

One example would be a client who owns a home, lives in half of it and rents the remaining half out . He uses the standard deduction because that is higher than calculated itemize deductions but on rental Schedule E reports activity for the other half including applicable portion of property taxes and interest . Happens often

makbo  
It just seems an odd question for someone with as much professional tax experience as listed in the OP's profile. And it has nothing to do with any new tax laws, so even more odd to ask about something that's been the case such a long time. So I wonder if we have the real question yet, as I mentioned in post #2.

Anyway, Udfleet, happy one year anniversary of your joining this forum!

It looks to me as if we've tried to skip over the word "vacation" in the title of the thread. Udfleet?

Udfleet  
Thank you for all the replies! I think I may have misread the implications of a recent J of A article.

Return to Taxation