Verify identity of deceased taxpayer?

Technical topics regarding tax preparation.
BFStax  
My client's son died and was appointed administer of the estate by the courts. We filed the son's tax return and included the courts Certificate of Appointment of Administrator letter.

Yesterday client received the 4883C letter, addressed to the deceased taxpayer, asking to verify identity. Client called IRS and was told this letter is official and that they need to verify identity and needed a prior tax return. Unfortunately client doesn't have a prior year tax return. The IRS wouldn't accept the courts letter for this process of identity verification.

Has anyone had this type of issue? I think the only logical next step is to go to the local IRS office although client would rather not have to.

lucyko  
There trying to prove the identity of your client who is the administer of the estate. It is my understanding they will accept information shown on a tax transmittal for a prior year.

BFStax  
There trying to prove the identity of your client who is the administer of the estate. It is my understanding they will accept information shown on a tax transmittal for a prior year.

Trying to avoid the POA. Client tried to get sons transcript using the IRS website but couldn't answer the questions correctly.

Jake  
I had a similar situation. Timely filed 2017 return with Form 1310 and 56. Could never find out why the refund was not received. The IRS ended up referring the matter to the Taxpayer Advocate. Resent all info, in addition to a copy of the death certificate that is not a requirement. Finally got the refund the end of October. We have 1 month of 2018 income so will likely have to go through this again.

Noobie  
Taxpayer Advocates office is the route to go.

Return to Taxation