Pennslyvania extension

Technical topics regarding tax preparation.
Any PA preparers out there who can advise me?
I got client a federal extension for an individual return & found later that $300 was due on form PA-40.
I filed the return and inadvertently designated "N" where indicated at the top right of page 1.
Client is being charged late filing penalty.
Will the late filing penalty be removed if I mail in a copy of the federal extension form 4868?
Might the penalty be removed if I call the state? (Although they're quite hard to get through to on the phone.)

Thanks in advance.

Nilodop  
I'd file an amended PA-40 and a PA-40X. Fill in the oval that says Amended Return and the one that says Extension. send them a copy of the federal extension Form 4868, and write a short and simple explanation of the change you are making.

Nilodop is really *sly* about Pennsylvania things, isn't he?

Nilodop  
And he is not even a PA preparer.

Thanks - I'll do that & let you know how it turns out.

I have had many PA clients get billed for late filing penalty by PA even though the box was checked saying extension was filed. PA always removes penalty when a copy of the federal extension is provided. I would provide the federal extension with a letter of explanation and only amend if that doesn't work.

Return to Taxation