Maryland tax return question

Technical topics regarding tax preparation.
ode923  
I'm amending a return for a client. She prepared her return herself (turbotax) but asked me for help in amending it. Easy enough.

However, in amending her Maryland tax return (Form 502), I discovered an unrelated issue that I may amend for her. Specifically, she reported $7,000 as an "Addition to income" on Line 5, code a. This line and code is for part-year residents (which she is) to report: "losses or adjustments to federal income that were realized or paid when you were a nonresident of Maryland."

Unfortunately, she doesn't know how or why this was included, but before I remove it from her amended return, I want to make sure I'm not missing something myself. Her federal return has no adjustments. There are capital losses from her period of non-residence, but not anywhere close to $7,000. Does anyone know what Maryland means by that? Does turbotax know something that I don't know? Thank you!

Return to Taxation