Claiming dependent

Technical topics regarding tax preparation.
I feel dumb asking this but a little confused by it yet even after reading on it but I'll suck it up and ask. Rather be sure than sorry.

Boyfriend and girlfriend have a baby in 2018. They own a home, live together with their new baby. Boyfriend has higher income and wants to claim head of household and pays most of the home expenses.

Can the girlfriend claim the child for CTC, EIC, and daycare expenses if they both agree and boyfriend only does so for HOH purposes?

EZTAX  
No. You could do that back in the old days. Now the only way to "split" benefits is if separated couple with 8332. Custodial parent would get HH and EIC if applicable and non-custodial would get kid credit.

Jake  
Sometimes shacking up is a better tax deal than being married. In the past I have seen one "single" itemizing and claiming all the mortgage interest, real estate taxes and HOH and the other take the standard deduction. At least as bad as the trust fund recipient earning a small income over many quarters and then getting an outsized SS benefit plus full Medicare benefits. A lot of benefits for a minimal contribution via FICA taxes paid.

The boyfriend was wanting to claim HOH and none of the credits while allowing his girlfriend to file "Single" and claim the EIC, CTC, and dependent care credit she would qualify for. Can't happen like that, correct?

Jake  
Schenckdmm wrote:The boyfriend was wanting to claim HOH and none of the credits while allowing his girlfriend to file "Single" and claim the EIC, CTC, and dependent care credit she would qualify for. Can't happen like that, correct?

That would be claiming the best of both worlds.

Schenckdmm wrote:I feel dumb asking this but a little confused by it yet even after reading on it but I'll suck it up and ask. Rather be sure than sorry.

Boyfriend and girlfriend have a baby in 2018. They own a home, live together with their new baby. Boyfriend has higher income and wants to claim head of household and pays most of the home expenses.

Can the girlfriend claim the child for CTC, EIC, and daycare expenses if they both agree and boyfriend only does so for HOH purposes?

No.

I agree with EZ.

You CAN'T split these benefits unless separated with 8832.

Okay, that's how I was reading it but just wanting to make sure. Thanks for your responses.

Return to Taxation